3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Steering Box Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 07:21 PM
UTdak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Box Adjustment

New to the forums but I’ve been searching a bunch online and I know how to adjust the steering box but I’m needing some help in locating the adjustment screw on my 05 Dakota 4.7. I’ve got a lot of excess play in my steering and I’m trying to tighten it up a bit. Does anyone have a detailed how to maybe with pics on where to access the adjustment screw? Thanks all.

Old 06-02-2019, 08:00 PM
rodslinger
Veteran
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

You have rack and pinion steering.

With the front wheels off the ground do you have physical play in the wheel assembly or just sloppy steering going down the road?

Old 06-02-2019, 08:11 PM
UTdak

Originally Posted by rodslinger
You have rack and pinion steering.

With the front wheels off the ground do you have physical play in the wheel assembly or just sloppy steering going down the road?
Thanks for the clarification. I knew that but wasn’t sure if there was still an adjustment options. My google searches led me to believe that I did.

Just sloppy steering going down the road. That’s what I’m trying to correct.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:57 PM
UTdak

Could it be the intermediate shaft causing the play? While on the ground. I have what feels like excessive play in the intermediate shaft. But I don’t have something to compare it to.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:40 PM
rodslinger
Veteran
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I think the lower ball joints have been problematic for some so I would definitely check those.

I recall being able to get a pretty good look at the steering shaft coupler through the left fender well or straight down the from the engine bay. Get someone to saw the wheel back and forth slightly to see if there is any slop at that joint.

Alignment been checked lately? The closer the front toe gets to 0 the more the vehicle will want to wander on the road. While a 0 degree toe is great for wear, it takes a bit more focus to drive straight. I run 0 toe but had the shop dial in nearly 8 degrees of caster and 3/4 degree of camber. It likes to wander slightly on the interstate but handles GREAT.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:43 AM
UTdak

Had an alignment done a couple weeks ago due to it pulling to the right. Swapped front tires and it pulled to the left so those got rotated to the back and that issue got taken care of temporarily until I buy new tires. I’ll have to look at the alignment sheet to see what my toe numbers are. They were off quite a bit before which I think led to the wear on the tires. But I’m not sure if having it adjusted further from 0 is ideal for me in regards to tire wear. I just didn’t expect this truck to feel like it floats so much.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:44 AM
UTdak

I did notice this morning that I’m getting the steering clunk while turning occasionally. I’ve read that it’s a sign of the intermediate shaft needing to be replaced.

Quick Reply: Steering Box Adjustment