3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Body Lift Kits on 06 TRX 4x4 dakota

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 09:26 AM
Buckeyeguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body Lift Kits on 06 TRX 4x4 dakota

Hi guys,

Ive done some searching and have found pretty conflicting answers about whether some lifts will work with the TRX package. I’m not sure what makes installing lifts on TRX Dakota’s any different than regular 4x4 Dakota’s. As most of you know, lifts that fit 3rd gen dakotas are pretty limited. Here is a kit I’m considering: https://www.ebay.com/itm/DAKOTA-05-1...MAAOSwQjZXP1gQ

I confirmed I have the correct rear axle size. I messaged the seller and asked them if there’s any reason this wouldn’t fit an 06 TRX model. They said no. But I have read on other vendors sites that the front body lift cannot be over 2.5”. Anyone have experience with this? Anything you guys can think of?

Old 06-11-2019, 10:55 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

There is no difference in the suspension on the TRX model compared to any other Dakota. Most guys go with the 3" body lift made by Performance Accessories. Below is shown what came with the TRX packages below, for the 2006 model year.

nsk6NRn.png

The Heavy Duty Service Group includes a 750 amp battery, and in-tank transmission and power steering cooler.

Welcome aboard.

Last edited by dakotaff; 06-11-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:49 PM
Buckeyeguy

^^ thanks for the response! Any reason you prefer that kit as opposed to others? Just personal experience?

Old 06-12-2019, 08:24 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

No experience at all, I don't have a body lift on my tuck. The PA lift is just what has been used by some members.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:00 PM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckeyeguy
The "kit" you are refering to is not a body lift kit, you are looking at a suspension lift kit. or more specifically, a coil spring spacer for the front and lift block and shocks for the rear. the PA system that Dakotaff mentioned is a body lift, which are blocks that go under the body mounts to raise the body higher. This will make the truck taller but not give more ground clearance as the frame is still at the same height from the ground as it was before.

The 2.5 in front lift limitation is due to CV and Tie rods being at a severe angle causing premature failure. Keeping the front lift using spacers such as on this kit at around 2 with a max of 2.5" will help to not make the CV's grenade themselves. or lowering the differential to reduce the angle also helps.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:00 PM
Buckeyeguy

I'll admit I have zero experience with lift kits so this might be ignorant, but how is that kit considered a suspension kit? Is it just because it includes new rear shocks? The front sruts will be exactly the same. As far as I can tell the chassis/frame will be exactly the same distance from the ground. The front strut spacers will just fit in between the top of the strut and the point where the strut mounts to the body thus increasing the distance between the body and the wheels, chassis, etc. Aside from the new rear shocks there are no suspension components included in the kit. Am I missing something?

Old 06-13-2019, 08:24 AM
pierrejoly
Veteran

Sorry, duplicate post see bellow.

Last edited by pierrejoly; 06-13-2019 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:32 AM
pierrejoly
Veteran

Originally Posted by Buckeyeguy
I'll admit I have zero experience with lift kits so this might be ignorant, but how is that kit considered a suspension kit? Is it just because it includes new rear shocks? The front sruts will be exactly the same. As far as I can tell the chassis/frame will be exactly the same distance from the ground. The front strut spacers will just fit in between the top of the strut and the point where the strut mounts to the body thus increasing the distance between the body and the wheels, chassis, etc. Aside from the new rear shocks there are no suspension components included in the kit. Am I missing something?
in this case, i'm calling it a suspension lift because those spacers will make the front end higher because they are basically making the strut taller, pushing the tire down lifting the frame up. and the rear lift blocks for the axel does the same as it's putting more distance between the leaf spring and the axel, thus also needing longer shocks for the rear. And because of the extreme angles caused at the front, the CV axels will bind more easily, and the tie rod ends and even ball joints are near the max travel more often, causing premature failure of those components unless you lower the front Diff but that will not help the ball joints or tie rod ends. The frame will sit higher, unlike a body lift kit which like i said are spacers that go between the frame an the body.

this is a link to a body lift kit Performance Accessories PA60163. This lifts the body higher, the suspension is not modified at all keeping the frame at the same height from the ground.

Quick Reply: Body Lift Kits on 06 TRX 4x4 dakota