3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Halp! Truck wrecked, need offroad bumper options!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 02:25 AM
barrysuperhawk
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Halp! Truck wrecked, need offroad bumper options!

Stupid lady turned left in front of me, and mashed up my truck. So now is my opportunity to put some road armor or similar, on, but I am not finding much available.
I found move, but the body shop dosen't doesn't want to do that much welding. So. Please, point me in the right direction.

Oh. If you want to see it, YouTube my username and "the wreck" for dash cam footage of me swearing (NSFW)...

Old 07-05-2019, 10:33 AM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

wow. sorry for your truck. At least you were not hurt.

I remember when i still had my Dakota that i was only able to find a few places that made one but even then the reviews were horrible. I nearly made my own with the help of a welder friend of mine. We had the plans all ready to go to replace the front and rear when my tranny went and the dealer called it abuse and wouldn't help me.

If it worked out with the plans that we had we were going to offer it to others. It would have mounted to the frame extensions, had provisions for offroad lights, and a winch mount. If i can find the plans, and you can find someplace to get it done, i'll send them.

Old 07-05-2019, 02:28 PM
barrysuperhawk
Professional
Default New plan

Move bumpers

All right, I found these guys, does anybody have any experience with them?

Last edited by barrysuperhawk; 07-06-2019 at 01:13 AM. Reason: New plan
Old 07-06-2019, 12:36 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The only option that we ever had was that awful front bumper by TAG and that piece of crap was bought and reviewed by a member here on DF. Now you may come across Iron Bull bumpers, which show bumpers for our Dakotas, but that company is absolutely terrible, and will leave you with nothing but frustrations, and certainly without a bumper. So definitely keep far away from Iron Bull Bumpers unless you enjoy being ignored and treated like dirt, and ending up with a bumper that probably won't fit.

The Move Bumper can be a decent option, but you best have a good welder to fit it all together. But they do have that 'Fat Lip' look to all of them. I wish there was a good option, but I'd suggest just getting a good welder to build a custom bumper for you.

Last edited by dakotaff; 07-06-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:30 PM
barrysuperhawk
Professional

Powdercoat done and installed.

The following users liked this post:
dpmsdeerhunter (10-18-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 08:36 PM
philipat
Veteran
Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

Nicely built! At least it ended well.

If you don't mind my asking, what dash cam do you have? Is it permanently installed and hardwired to the truck or is it a temporary mounting powered from the cigarette lighter? I've been considering getting a dash cam, but haven't seen any installations on a Dakota.

Old 09-11-2019, 01:02 PM
barrysuperhawk
Professional

I have a ROAV brand wedge style. It uses a micro USB connector for power, and I have it hard wired.

Step 1 decide how much money you want to spend.
Step 2 buy the highest resolution you can find in the form factor you want - note a suction cup is not a mount, it is only suitable for a rental car or a company car.
Step 3 Buy a circular polarizer.
Battery gives you more parking coverage, capacitor will still work when it is stupid cold.
Don't worry about the best, it won't be 5 minutes from now.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:10 PM
philipat
Veteran
Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Halp! Truck wrecked, need offroad bumper options!