3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

'09 TRX4 replacement struts/shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 03:47 PM
mtnman82
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '09 TRX4 replacement struts/shocks

What are my options for replacement struts/shocks for my '09 TRX4 quad cab?

Edit: According to my build sheet (thank you dakotaff) I have the HD suspension/HD front shock absorbers/extra HD rear shock absorbers.

I have no problem with upgrading to nicer shocks, but am looking to keep factory ride height - level or slightly higher ride height in the rear.

Last edited by mtnman82; 07-26-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:01 PM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Same as everyone else. the TRX4 doesn't have anything different suspension wise as any other dakota of same year.

if you are looking for keeping the off-road manners, go with the ranchos, otherwise the monroe are a good option.

Old 07-26-2019, 04:51 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

We all have the 'Heavy Duty' crap on our Dakotas. Well I guess it's all heavy duty parts when compared to, let's say, the Caravan or Neon.

But stick with the proven choices, Rancho or Monroe. Both will keep the same height.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:11 PM
philipat
Veteran
Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

If you want slightly higher height in the back, most folks report the back going a 1/2" or an 1" up using the Monroe Load Adjusting Shocks.

A few forum links you might want to read:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...nd-struts.html

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ho-shocks.html

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ew-shocks.html

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ggestions.html

The following users liked this post:
Bryant Gelinas (09-01-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 12:21 AM
mtnman82
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the Monroe quick strut will keep the same ride height on the front? I put some quick struts on my son's Sequoia and it raised the front end by at least an inch. Don't really like that. Rock Auto has 'economy' and 'original ride quality' Monroe quick struts. I'm fine paying more for the 'original ride quality' if they are indeed a better product.

I assume Rancho would be an upgrade to the Monroe or OEM struts? The quick strut replacements are tempting (easy), but if using the original springs I'd like to get the best available...

Old 07-27-2019, 07:32 AM
philipat
Veteran
Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnman82
So the Monroe quick strut will keep the same ride height on the front? I put some quick struts on my son's Sequoia and it raised the front end by at least an inch. Don't really like that. Rock Auto has 'economy' and 'original ride quality' Monroe quick struts. I'm fine paying more for the 'original ride quality' if they are indeed a better product.

I assume Rancho would be an upgrade to the Monroe or OEM struts? The quick strut replacements are tempting (easy), but if using the original springs I'd like to get the best available...
Sorry...can't answer that. My suspension is still OEM. I was holding that information for the future when it was time to start changing stuff. Based on everything I read (and because my off-roading is limited to a few, occasional, tame dirt roads), I was going to go with the Monroe all-around, including the load-levelers in the rear. But, again, so far, I don't have any experience with these.

Old 07-27-2019, 09:05 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnman82

Monroe struts will give you a softer ride that the Ranchos, and anything is an upgrade over the OEM struts. Guys have mentioned a bit of a lift when replacing their struts, I cannot confirm that though. I added a leveling kit and Ranchos at the same time.

Old 08-07-2019, 11:41 AM
RicOshea
Rookie
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I would suggest going with the Monroe strut instead of the Rancho, here is why ... the monroe quick strut is just that quick and easy. Removing a few nuts here and there you can just slip on the monroe. The Rancho strut requires you to build the strut, this includes spring, dust bellow, bump stop, strut mount and strut. Sure you can use the old spring and mount but you might quickly find that's not possible due to condition and or worn spring. I could not reuse my mounts and my springs were uneven when compared to each other. Rancho does not recommend a replacement spring and there is nothing in the tech data to give a direct part, not even tech support when contacted did they reply. so long story short you might mess with the geometry of the front end if you use a different spring with different mount.

Old 08-07-2019, 12:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by RicOshea
I would suggest going with the Monroe strut instead of the Rancho, here is why ... the monroe quick strut is just that quick and easy. Removing a few nuts here and there you can just slip on the monroe. The Rancho strut requires you to build the strut, this includes spring, dust bellow, bump stop, strut mount and strut. Sure you can use the old spring and mount but you might quickly find that's not possible due to condition and or worn spring. I could not reuse my mounts and my springs were uneven when compared to each other. Rancho does not recommend a replacement spring and there is nothing in the tech data to give a direct part, not even tech support when contacted did they reply. so long story short you might mess with the geometry of the front end if you use a different spring with different mount.
Getting an alignment is pretty much a requirement after replacing struts though......

Granted, the quick-struts do make the job a LOT easier.

Old 08-08-2019, 12:29 PM
JCinTenn
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an ‘07 TRX4 club cab 3.7 V6. I went with the Monroe quick struts. I do like them, have had them on about two years now. It did raise the front slightly. Truck used to sit higher in the back, now it’s about level.

Quick Reply: '09 TRX4 replacement struts/shocks