3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

After TUNE UP STARTER IS DEAD

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 01:03 PM
bdby
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After TUNE UP STARTER IS DEAD

Hi All,

I got a good one for you.

A 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7L 4 wheel drive

Here is the background. The shop and their analysis indicated a bad pcm so I purchased a rebuilt one and avoided paying $1800 fee. The truck ran AFTER THAT and the pcm indicated plug and coil problems with the error codes. Yes I never changed them for the years I had had this truck 14 years. I just don’t know why either. The plug porcelain were yellow.

Well, I did the job correctly using a torque wrench replacing one plug at a time everything was tight and snug.I did the job in about two hours and was excited to hear the motor when I turned the key.

I went to start the truck and NOTHING HAPPENED!!! It didn’t turn over I didn’t hear no clicks of the Bendix, nothing. Right now I am at a loss. I completely charged the battery last night and checked the connections on the battery and will clean them once again. I reviewed underneath the hood 2-3 times thinking I disturbed something (switch) that would cause this to happen.

Right now I am going to purchase a remote starter switch and start it directly. This may tell me the problem is in the column with the key if it does start. I also tried hitting the starter with a hammer thinking it may break the solenoid free. I used to be diesel mechanic and that is what we did sometimes. I also tried starting it with the lights on to see if the lights dimmed. That trick would tell me the solenoid is drawing too much amps and is bad but there was no dimming.

I didn’t try starting it in neutral but will try to see if it does start when I get home from work which is where I am now.

Why all of a sudden would this happen? Is there something under the hood that was disturbed that would prevent the starter from engaging?

Any suggestions or possible solutions would be appreciated.

Regards

Old 10-03-2019, 02:40 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by bdby
Hi All,

I got a good one for you.

A 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7L 4 wheel drive

Here is the background. The shop and their analysis indicated a bad pcm so I purchased a rebuilt one and avoided paying $1800 fee. The truck ran AFTER THAT and the pcm indicated plug and coil problems with the error codes. Yes I never changed them for the years I had had this truck 14 years. I just don’t know why either. The plug porcelain were yellow.

Well, I did the job correctly using a torque wrench replacing one plug at a time everything was tight and snug.I did the job in about two hours and was excited to hear the motor when I turned the key.

I went to start the truck and NOTHING HAPPENED!!! It didn’t turn over I didn’t hear no clicks of the Bendix, nothing. Right now I am at a loss. I completely charged the battery last night and checked the connections on the battery and will clean them once again. I reviewed underneath the hood 2-3 times thinking I disturbed something (switch) that would cause this to happen.

Right now I am going to purchase a remote starter switch and start it directly. This may tell me the problem is in the column with the key if it does start. I also tried hitting the starter with a hammer thinking it may break the solenoid free. I used to be diesel mechanic and that is what we did sometimes. I also tried starting it with the lights on to see if the lights dimmed. That trick would tell me the solenoid is drawing too much amps and is bad but there was no dimming.

I didn’t try starting it in neutral but will try to see if it does start when I get home from work which is where I am now.

Why all of a sudden would this happen? Is there something under the hood that was disturbed that would prevent the starter from engaging?

Any suggestions or possible solutions would be appreciated.

Regards

Before you start spending money and throwing parts at it, check your battery. Pull the connectors and clean the posts and slap a little dielectric grease on them. Check the voltage in the battery while you're at it. Also check your other grounds. I've seen the ground cable at the frame get corrosion and burn through opening the circuit. Once you make sure the battery and connections are good (don't forget the engine to firewall straps), then start looking for something else. Remote starter switches are always handy. I've used screwdrivers to short solenoids but I don't like big fat sparks around fuel lines.

Old 10-03-2019, 05:54 PM
bdby
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

I think I found the problem. I started at the control panel to review all the panel indicators. I found that the "PNR123" gear indicators are missing. The manual that came with the truck says to take it in for servicing if the circles around the letters are missing or fading. Well, here they are completely MISSING. My panel just shows the current milage of 200120 miles.

I would like to know what is the name of the part on the transmission that needs to be replaced? This sensor tells the pcm it is ok or not to start the vehicle.

Thanks for your help in this matter.

Regards

bdby

Old 10-07-2019, 12:26 AM
pilotsmack
Professional
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

If all you did was the plugs/coils, double check the grounds... if memory serves, I seem to remember a ground strap attached to the #8 coil stud. Bad engine grounds can cause her to not start.

Quick Reply: After TUNE UP STARTER IS DEAD