3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Towing with a Dakota without factory towing harness

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 06:11 PM
djsilverjohnson
Rookie
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Towing with a Dakota without factory towing harness

My 2006 wasn't a factory tow package. It had a Mopar aftermarket adapter with the converter under the FCM/fuse box. It wasn't the right one, as the reverse lamps were wired to ground in the jumper harness and I had to pull the reverse lights fuse to use it. It plugged into the factory harness behind the driver's side fender liner. Today I was re-lamping a trailer and testing it and the turn signals worked but the running lights didn't. I started checking and the adapter isn't sending power to the 7-pin plug for the running lights. Neither the OEM wiring harness or Mopar aftermarket harness are available any more. What do you suggest?
I know I can buy a 3 wire to 2-wire adapter from eTrailer or Uhaul for the turn/stop lights and wire it up at the rear of the vehicle and get it to work. Is that what others are doing? The only other idea I have is searching for a 3rd Gen Dakota on car-part.com with a 3.92 ratio and checking to see if it has a harness I could pull.

Old 11-06-2019, 09:30 AM
superdak05
Champion

Hopkins makes a kit that plugs directly into the taillamps, simple plug and play, I bought one for my dodge ram

Old 11-07-2019, 04:00 AM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If you can get away with a 4-pin trailer connector (if your trailer doesn't need more than left-right-brake/running lights), connecting a Y-adapter wiring harness (such as U-Haul) into the truck's rear-end wiring for a 4-pin trailer connector is a piece of cake. It's been several years since I did mine, but I think the only extra step is manually connecting the Y-adapter's ground wire to the body/chassis.

Old 11-07-2019, 07:57 AM
djsilverjohnson
Rookie

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping for 7-pin since the trailer I tow has electric brakes. I'll see about adapting one of these, as the brake power doesn't actually pass thru the adapter/converter portion of the existing harness.

Quick Reply: Towing with a Dakota without factory towing harness