3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

05 Dakota temperatures

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 11:52 PM
Caulin Sheridan
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FaceDeAce
K - awesome. A couple ideas for consideration:
- I would probably buy and try another thermostat to be absolutely positive what's in there.
- Before installing a new one, or troubleshooting and existing one, I do test the thermostat submersed in a pot of water on the stove with a thermometer in. I do this to verify it is opening at the correct temperature and is working properly.

Will do. By the way, I put my truck in neutral and revved for a minute to get the fan spinning and get some low temps just to see where they placed with the needle and 195 is sitting pretty low, a little over a quarter of the way up the guage, according to my obd-II. I've uploaded a picture. Is this about where it sits for your truck?

Old 11-16-2019, 12:32 AM
FaceDeAce
Veteran
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, that looks right about where mine runs. Maybe half a needle width higher on a warm day. Steady as a rock there.

Last edited by FaceDeAce; 11-16-2019 at 12:37 AM.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:49 PM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

When initially filling the radiator with coolant, you also need to make sure that the bleeder allen-screw atop the upper radiator hose pipe on the engine side is loose or off...So as you're filling, the coolant pushes all air inside the engine coolant passages up and out of that screw hole until coolant starts to come out of it (the engine is now full of coolant), and then immediately tighten the screw. *Quick warning about that screw...There is no head on it and it doesn't "bottom out" in its hole as you tighten it...instead, it only has tapered threads to keep it in place, so make sure not to over-tighten it. After the screw is in place, continue filling to top-off the radiator and upper radiator hose. Make sure to also fill the reserve/overflow plastic tank, and then check that tank's level after a few warm-up/cool-down cycles and top-off accordingly.

Old 11-16-2019, 06:21 PM
FaceDeAce
Veteran
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Today

Quick Reply: 05 Dakota temperatures