3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

single chime upon startup

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 12:15 AM
mtnman82
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default single chime upon startup

Whenever I start my car, whether I have my seat belt buckled or not, I hear a single chime after I start the engine. No dash lights. No codes or pending codes. Anybody know why this might be?

Old 06-19-2020, 10:56 AM
pilotsmack
Professional
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Do all of the dash lights do a test after start? Should be a bunch of them, and I think that's what the chime is. Airbag, ABS, 4x4, Trans Temp... bunch of em. Might be that it is still testing, but the light isn't working.

Old 06-19-2020, 02:51 PM
rodslinger
Veteran
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnman82
Whenever I start my car, whether I have my seat belt buckled or not, I hear a single chime after I start the engine. No dash lights. No codes or pending codes. Anybody know why this might be?
Is the odometer displaying change oil just after starting? Start it and watch the mileage indicator. You may see it swtich to change oil for a second or two then switch back. Also look for the hidden passenger airbag indicator down low on the center dash to see if it is illuminated. Some trucks have seat sensors and it could be bad or just triggering with something like a cell phone on it or small item.

Old 06-19-2020, 04:59 PM
mtnman82
Amateur

I will check on these and report back.

And I take it there should NOT be a single chime in normal operation?

Old 06-19-2020, 09:19 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

It's your Oil Change Reminder, which will come on after approximately 3000 miles.

Info from your Owners Manual:

Change Oil Message
Your vehicle is equipped with an engine oil change indicator system. The “Change Oil” message will flash in the instrument cluster odometer for approximately 12 seconds after a single chime has sounded to indicate the next scheduled oil change interval. The engine oil change indicator system is duty cycle based, which means the engine oil change interval may fluctuate dependent upon your personal driving style.
Unless reset, this message will continue to display each time you turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position.
To turn off the message temporarily, press and release the Trip Odometer button on the instrument
cluster.
To reset the oil change indicator system (after performing the scheduled maintenance)
refer to the following procedure.

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (Do not start the engine).
2. Fully depress the accelerator pedal slowly three times within 10 seconds.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF/LOCK position.

Next time you start up, the 'chime' will be reset, and gone.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:01 PM
mtnman82
Amateur

Interesting. I don't see the 'change oil' in the odometer window when I start, certainly not for 12 seconds. About to go install the new rear shocks in a bit. I will pay close attention upon startup and report back...

Old 06-20-2020, 01:39 PM
mtnman82
Amateur

First startup of the day, forgot to put my seatbelt on before starting. You can hear the single delayed chime. No change oil on the odometer display. After waiting a minute I recorded startup again with the seatbelt on. Single chime with nothing on the dash. It does the same thing with the parking brake off.

Old 06-20-2020, 01:40 PM
mtnman82
Amateur

Hmmm, upload won't work...

Old 06-21-2020, 07:00 AM
philipat
Veteran
Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

Long shot...do a code scan yet? There are a few "single chimes" mentioned in the owner's manual and it could be that a warning light on the dash doesn't work, for whatever reason. But, there might be some codes to help.

Old 06-22-2020, 11:34 AM
mtnman82
Amateur

I have a pretty good scanner that seems to go a bit deeper than others. Scanned and no codes.

Trying to figure out how to reduce the size of the 18 second video's so I can post...

Quick Reply: single chime upon startup