3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Another Brake Issue Question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 06:46 PM
CrazyTGuy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Brake Issue Question(s)

Vehicle 2008 Dodge Dakota 4X4. This is a mild ride. A buddy and I did a brake job to replace and beef up the brakes. Rotors, pads, calipers, drums, brake shoes and wheel cylinders were replaced. Bled out the system. Started it up And the brake pedal dropped to the floor. The brake light and the ABS light popped on (2 wheel system). Changed the booster and master cylinder then bleed it out again. The same thing happened again. I assumed I had an air lock in the system caused by the proportioning valve and the ABS system. I brought the truck to the dealership to bleed it. I think the dealership is blowing smoke up my butt. They claim the calipers were on in reverse. Further, if the brake switch is pulled it cannot be reused and had to be replaced. The bleeders on the calipers were on top (Correct Install) and one removal kills a brake switch? Any thoughts?

Old 07-10-2020, 01:22 PM
lantzd
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had similar issues when i did a full brake job. never got the lights but my pedal wasnt very firm. i messed with the rear brake adjuster and it got better. what is a brake switch? I did almost make the same mistake when i put my calipers on, but then i noticed that the bleeder valves had to be up top pointing up as to let all the air out. good luck.

Old 07-13-2020, 12:26 AM
mtnman82
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the brake switch down by the brake pedal has a lever on it to calibrate the switch to the brake pedal. It cannot be reused in another vehicle if it's determined to be good. Mine tested good but I replaced and it solved my problem at the time (forget which code I was throwing).

This is kind of scary about bleeding the brakes...

Quick Reply: Another Brake Issue Question(s)