3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2006 Dakota, reprogrammed computer and now engine light flashing, codes p0700 +p0300

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 03:47 AM
lbrk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Dakota, reprogrammed computer and now engine light flashing, codes p0700 +p0300

truck died and I towed it to the mechanic, turns out the key is too old, and since I can take it out in any position, it must be not write off sometimes and was causing the battery to drain. in determining this, my mechanic took it the battery to use one he knew was good. he said I had blown fuse and he needed to reprogram the computer, I must have crossed the cables trying to jump it (I did not). since then, I've read that if you replace the battery while the ignition is in the "on" position it can cause fuses too blow and the computer to need reprogramming. when I picked it up he charged me 500 and now the engine light is flashing. so I got a code reader, p0300 (random misfire) came up, and now p0700 (transmission communication) too. I'm wondering, is this also a symptom of replacing the battery incorrectly?
otherwise, what should I do here, is this something I could possibly fix myself? I'm thinking erase the codes, reset the battery/computer myself (disconnect battery etc), let it relearn properly (?), and see if the codes up again. just trying to avoid taking it back to that mechanic obviously, or the dealer$hip... any thoughts?

Last edited by lbrk; 01-28-2021 at 03:49 AM.
Old 01-30-2021, 04:23 AM
regg187
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure its a good strong battery! dakotas are famous for electrical problems when a battery is not strong. just cuz its new doesnt guarntee its strong or its the right size. ecu could be bad or going bad especially if it had to be reflashed. which I thought only a dealer could do and places that reman ecu's.

Old 01-30-2021, 06:53 PM
pilotsmack
Professional
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Not sure what "programming" was necessary, but you definitely got ripped off, especially since the light is still flashing. Methinks the technician threw parts at it hoping for the best without actually diagnosing it, but, i am no mechanic.

A trans relearn requires a special code reader, not entry level stuff.

Step 1 is finding a good mechanic.

Lock cylinder and/or ignition switch is toast. Proper diagnosing required.

Good luck

Quick Reply: 2006 Dakota, reprogrammed computer and now engine light flashing, codes p0700 +p0300