3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Transfer Case Motor Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2021, 03:21 PM
Tedybear315
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transfer Case Motor Question

Basics: 2005 Dodge Dakota with the 4.7 V8. 4x4

The next question on our journey into the absurd....

Trouble Code: C1404 From the Central Gateway. Transfer Case Range Position Sensor Circuit Low.

Thankfully I have a cell phone scan tool that can read more deeply into 'factory' codes. Here's what we have goin' on:

When we attempt to use the 4x4 or the 4Low. We can hear everything engage correctly at first. We know the 4x4 works, as we drove it up our hill into our work space and it's covered in wet leaves and mud. (It crawled up there pretty well....) The annoying part? Every so often (more so then not) it will seem to disengage something and start flashing the 'service' light for the transfer case.

Now I'm not sure if it's just disengaging the transfer case back to normal 2wd action, or if this error could suddenly cause the transfer case to attempt to engage 4x4 or heaven forbid.. 4Low while we are tooling down the highway unexpectedly.

Basic search didn't really show much. I'm kinda leaning towards the transfer case motor assembly (being it has about 194k on it...) might have worn contacts in the sensor that reports the position back to the module.

Has anyone been successful at replacing this assembly? I checked the shop manual and it simply states the usual "disconnect battery....Unhook harness at transfer case motor.....unscrew bolts and remove.... replacement is opposite of removal, torque the bolts down...etc..."

I've seen people say "Jack the transfer case up about 2-3" and the motor will come out. I've also seen people remove the front 'cup' that retains the front drive shaft to the transfer case for better access.

We attempted to pull one out of the local yard yesterday. I can't really see how that's possible to remove with the 'cup' attached. It's pretty close quarters. (We've done this several times on our old Explorer and Bronco....Very surprised to see Dodge put this in such an odd place on the housing.)

Thanks again!

S-

Old 11-08-2021, 03:58 PM
pilotsmack
Professional
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

TC Motors are a frequent failure item on these trucks. And you are correct... the moon needs to align with Mars and your wrench to get the motor off without taking off that flange. Just remember that you will need some form-a-gasket (I used The Right Stuff) under the big nut that holds the flange to the front output shaft when you are putting everything back together.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Motor Question