3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Maiden Voyage...and it set a code...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 06:55 PM
Tedybear315
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Maiden Voyage...and it set a code...

Well as the other post mentioned. First trip on the highway! (During a lot of snow...)

I checked the monitors with my scan tool and found it had a 'pending code'.

P2096

Downstream fuel trim system 1 lean

When we purchased this old girl it had a code for a bad heater circuit. The replacement sensor isn't triggering that code (Drivers side downstream) But I think this might be a used sensor that isn't fully functional.

So I ordered in a Denso sensor for the downstream brand new. I found a lot of odd's and ends that could cause this code. I guess what I'm more confused about is why the post catalyst sensor is reporting 'lean'. The front O2's appear to be okay, and they are responsible for the air/fuel mixtures... And the post catalyst normally just monitors the converter efficiency. So I must admit to being a bit confused. One of the 'suspected' causes would be exhaust leaks. We installed the exhaust up as best we can. It had a small resonator at the front..a 2 foot missing section- And the rear resonator and tail pipe where broken off. That was replaced. The 2' section between the front resonator and the rear resonator pipe is just 'piped' for the moment. I think Dodge used 2 resonators and 1 muffler on this thing??? Because the missing section is offset and about 2' long. Just like a muffler is piped.

Any rate. That would be an exhaust issue well past the converters. Just trying to understand that error code, and I hope replacement with a new sensor cures the problem. I can't feel or hear any exhaust leaks before the converter. The last owner did have the manifolds replaced by a shop, and the flanges are in good repair. It's a bit of an oddity, as this error wasn't present when I scanned it before we purchased it.

Thanks for any insight on this one!

S-

Old 12-07-2021, 07:12 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

These trucks only like OEM sensors, there have been tons of issues using aftermarket brand sensors, Bosch being the worst.

OEM O2 part numbers: (Double check me though)
O2 sensor, Both Upstream & Downstream right - 56028998AB
Downstream Left - 56028999AB

I forget which years had the two resonators, but some had one resonator and some years had two.

And hopefully you've found the 2005 Factory Service Manual free download, if not, follow the link below.

Old 12-07-2021, 09:09 PM
Tedybear315
Rookie

Yeah I did see the notes about "Bosch".

Denso had decent reviews, and I've bundled the order for the other items (Wheel Bearing /w hub, driveshaft, and sway bar links) My budget for this rig has been greatly diminished. And my scan tool isn't graphing the data, so I can't really tell what that sensor is doing. (My other OBD II scanner is still in our Journey- And that's sitting at the dealership with a blown intermediate bearing in the front end.)

Hopefully Denso plays nice.

Equally odd, is when I looked at Walkers exhaust catalog it indeed shows for 2005 two resonators and one muffler. I really hope it's not expecting the physical muffler. I figure 2 resonators should be enough.

S-

Old 12-08-2021, 10:03 AM
ODXBeef
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The lack of resonators shouldn't be an issue. I ditched both resonators and have run a single turbo muffler with a dump right before the axle for going on 7 years now with no associated codes.

Old 12-08-2021, 12:29 PM
Tedybear315
Rookie

Originally Posted by ODXBeef
The lack of resonators shouldn't be an issue. I ditched both resonators and have run a single turbo muffler with a dump right before the axle for going on 7 years now with no associated codes.
Good to know.

Ours is the reverse. It's got what looks like 2 resonators now LOL! The tiny one at the front, That goes into a short section of flex pipe that took up the space where the 'muffler' used to live. And then it's got a new rear resonator/tailpipe assembly mounted. It looks pretty redneck, but it sealed up fairly well.

What has me a bit concerned: I scanned the truck before we purchased it. It had a code for a bad heater circuit on bank 1 sensor 2. No signs of any 'lean' codes. (likely due to the heater circuit fault.) I installed a used O2 sensor that looked in fair condition. (Wanted what I hoped would be a quick resolution to the CEL) We traded that code for the new code.

I hope the Denso O2 sensor solves the problem. My attempt to look at the graph data failed on my scan tool. At the very least I wanted to see if it was flatlined or reading any data.

Here's what we have for codes so far. (Please note: The code for the transfer case was solved with the replacement. Now if we can solve that 'clunk' when it attempts to disengage I'll be a happy camper.)

B1648: Stored: Right Rear turn lamp control circuit high. (flags a warning light on the dash. Flashes the bulbs wicked quick like it's got a blown bulb. And then suddenly fixes itself. Bulbs are all good)

P0073: Stored: Ambient Air Temp Sensor circuit high. (We had it unplugged while doing the core support for the radiator....that's a poor design when you need to replace it.)

C1404: Stored: Transfer Case range position sensor circuit low. (Left over from the prior transfer case. Replacement case has a binding issue when going out of 4WD at any speed. It likes to be fully stopped to disengage. Motor itself seems to function correctly? Covered on another thread)

B2213 Active: Cabin compartment node/cluster internal. (I have no idea what this one could be. So long as it doesn't trip a CEL? I'm not going to loose sleep over it.)

B222C: Stored: Mechanical Cluster: Vehicle configuration not programmed

U1415: Stored: Airbag. Implausible/missing vehicle configuration data.

P2096: Pending: Downstream fuel trim system 1 lean. (This one has me worried...as that can set a CEL and it won't pass inspection.)

P1684: Stored. Transmission module. Battery disconnected.

I wiped out and cleared all codes. The only code that came back on immediately was the pending code for the downstream. (I did the code erase with the engine running. When I did the code erase with key on engine off it did erase. I ran a system scan about 10 minutes later and everything passed that time.

Seems like a quirky little snot! I'm only concerned with the codes that can fail it for inspection. Hopefully the O2 will cure it.

S-

Quick Reply: Maiden Voyage...and it set a code...