3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Removing Westin Step Bars

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 04:06 PM
Botumfedr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Westin Step Bars

2006 Quadcab Dakota with what I think are factory step tubes. The one on the driver side is part rusted through and I am considering removing both. Had the truck on the lift for an oil change yesterday and it appears as though the bolts holding them on are bolted right into the body of the truck. There is an buffer cushion on the brackets but the bolts appear to go right up into the cab body. Not sure whether they were through bolted into the body with lock nuts on top or whether the bolts can be taken out and the brackets to the step tubes removed. Help me out here guys

DaveH

Old 07-26-2022, 06:33 PM
dodgetruck2
All Star
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Alot of nerf/tube style step bars bolt through the factory cab bolts with brackets of some sort, should be able to remove the bolt from the bottom, remove the bracket and reinstall the cab bolt. Its been awhile since I did one i cant remember if the bolt was longer or not. the giant washer/rubber cushion is the factory installed part and would stay with it, so just remove a 1/4" thick bracket shouldn't effect much

Its a gamble you'll have to take on whether or not the cab bolt twists off. I've been shocked by what actually comes out, but I have had em twist off too

Old 07-27-2022, 09:15 AM
Botumfedr

Appreciate the reply. Could not imagine the bolts having a nut on top inside the cab body. Step bars might have been installed by prev. owner and being the Westin brand, do not think they would be an OEM part. Have the original dealer list and the step bars are not noted so they must have been an add-on. 100,500 mi and still going strong.

Old 07-27-2022, 09:36 AM
ODXBeef
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The bolt threads up through the cab mount. Here is a video showing the westin steps being installed on a dakota (says 2004 in the link, but is clearly a 2005), should be just a matter of doing it in the opposite direction. I'd hit the bolts with penetrating oil and then the biggest impact wrench you have.

https://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-...5035-1545.aspx

Old 07-27-2022, 10:16 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

If you are removing the OEM Mopar steps, and not Westin steps, there are bolts that attached the step mounts to the body which are initially installed with a long straight wire to get them into position. Unless you can get a long wire to slide into the same area, geting the bolts out seem like a PITA. You can simply tighten the nut onto the bolt and leave it in place, which I've done in the past. Here is the installation guide to show you how the OEM steps are installed. Westin and other aftermarket steps have a different mounting system than OEM step bars.

I still have the OEM steps, and I took the steps off years ago when they rusted to hell, but I left the bolts in place after sliding the mount out, I just tightened them up so they didn't just get loose or slide around making noise. I found a brand new pair of the same steps for dirt cheap years ago, and reattached them to the same bolt, after spraying them in bedliner. I didn't have to slide that new bolt into position, I just used the old bolts still in place. I'm gonna ditch them for good soon though, maybe after one more winter.

Last edited by dakotaff; 07-27-2022 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-27-2022, 12:07 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Botumfedr
2006 Quadcab Dakota with what I think are factory step tubes. The one on the driver side is part rusted through and I am considering removing both. Had the truck on the lift for an oil change yesterday and it appears as though the bolts holding them on are bolted right into the body of the truck. There is an buffer cushion on the brackets but the bolts appear to go right up into the cab body. Not sure whether they were through bolted into the body with lock nuts on top or whether the bolts can be taken out and the brackets to the step tubes removed. Help me out here guys

DaveH

My '96 had step bars that were rotted away. They bolted to brackets that in turn are held on with the cab mount bolts. I didn't remove the brackets but the bars I just used a sawzall. Some of the bolts holding them to the brackets came out and some didn't. Since they are out of sight, I just left the brackets in place.

The following users liked this post:
Botumfedr (12-19-2022)
Old 06-28-2023, 02:06 PM
Botumfedr

Was an easy off job on driver side. Expect I'll be able to get the passenger side off just as easy. Breaker bar to loosen them and a rachet for the rest. Was expecting to require a pipe "persuader" on my breaker bar but came loose OK Went back together the same way but just had to invert the hold down washers.

Quick Reply: Removing Westin Step Bars