3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Dakota vs Coly

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 12:57 PM
lars
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dakota vs Coly

I have been checking out your site quite a bit. I am looking at buying either a Dakota CC or a Colorado CC. I currently drive an 02 Ranger with the FX4 Level 2 package and love it but want more room. I hunt a lot and 4 wheel some although I have a wrangler that does most of that, but want the capability. I also tow 3-3500lb boat a couple times a year.
I like the Dakota size and the V8. I don't like the gas mileage and cannot find one with a limited slip or skid plates. The looks are ok.
I like the Colorado looks, gas mileage, and auto locker. Not sure about the size or 5cyl. and the skid plates look like a joke.
What do you guys think. I expect a little bias and am posting on a chevy sight too. Thanks.

Old 01-11-2006, 01:25 PM
gutted
Veteran
Default RE: Dakota vs Coly

You might want to consider the Mitsubishi Raider as well. It's a Dakota with different sheet metal and a better factory warranty. I'd suggest the Dakota/Raider since they have an optional V8 and you will be towing a significant load with it (290 tq vs I don't even know, 220?). Personally, I am not a huge fan of the looks of any of these trucks.

The biggest drawback to the Dakota is as you said, the gas mileage. So in the end, if you only tow rarely but put alot of miles on it, you'd probably want the Colorado.

Old 01-11-2006, 02:06 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

The Colorado isnt a bad looking truck, but its a joke as far as a truck's concerned. You'd be better off buying a Tacoma then you would a Colorado.

That said, are you absolutely looking for a brand new truck? Maybe you could go a year or two older and snag a fullsize? I mean the gas mileage is pretty comparable.

Also, the Dakota is the best midsize truck you can buy....and while the gas mileage isnt great, you can do things to improve it. The Raider is basically a Dakota as well....and they're better looking interior wise.

Either way, I think you will find that the Colorado's arent that great when it comes to hauling. I used to average 1400lbs of crap in the bed of my Dakota.....and I've even hauled a 4000lbs trailer on a 500 mile road trip. It's a dependable and solid truck. I'm not an insane MOPAR fan.....but I will say this....you can not buy a Chevy or Ford pickup for the price...that will out work the Dakota....

FYI, the Dakota has more payload capacity then any regular 1500 series Chevy or Ford or Ram....it's only a couple hundred pounds, but that says something...

Old 01-11-2006, 03:20 PM
lars

I probably won't buy new, and would prefer not to get a full size. I like the smaller truck and that is all I really need. Your replies are great.

Old 01-11-2006, 06:01 PM
TheOtherBear

If hauling is important to you, you'd be out of your mind to consider a Colorado/Canyon. You're going to have a challenge matching good/great gas mileage with 4000+ lb towing capability. I'm not sure I could say anything nasty about the Tacoma, except it's a bit pricey and, I don't believe, as fundamentally sturdy as the Dak.

Actually, the Raider looks more different on the outside than the inside - it's almost identical to the Dak on the inside, at least from the pix I've seen.

You might be able to find a decent deal on a lease-back or used '05 at this point, but the 02's thru 04's are great trucks as well. Just be sure the ball joints have been fixed before you plunk down money for the pre-'05 Dakotas.

Old 01-11-2006, 08:50 PM
2coff
Record Breaker

The Colorado's max towing is only 4000 punds that thing would have a heck of a time pulling a boat and will probably use more gas doing it because the engine is working 100 time harder. And size wize theres no comparison the Dakota is much a bigger truck. I guess the ? would be do you want a mid size truck or small truck?

Old 01-11-2006, 09:22 PM
snobrdrdan
Captain

Yeah exactly what 2coff said....

The Dakota Quad Cab is a VERY roomy truck inside.

The Ranger has like no interior room in it at all.....and I know the Colorados aren't that much bigger either.

Quick Reply: Dakota vs Coly