3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Y'all are gonna get sick of me.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 01:22 AM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Y'all are gonna get sick of me.

Anyways, I am thinking of getting some summer tires for the truck, a set of the SRT-10 20 inch wheels, I am looking at two tire sizes tho.. one being a 275/45/20 Kuhmo ECSTA STX, and the other a 285/55/20 BFG g-Force T/A KDW-2. Now I am aware that these tires are different, but I would prefer the BFG's. Would these be fine?

Also, why did Dodge stray away from the wheel disc brakes? I could really go for some rear discs. Thanks y'all.

Old 01-14-2006, 04:13 AM
snobrdrdan
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Y'all are gonna get sick of me.

Rear Disc = More Cost

That's why they went back to drums. (My '04 Dakota had rear discs)

The bigger the tire, the more you're gonna slow your truck down.....unless you're just going for looks and don't care about speed.

Not too mention.....the big 20" wheels are gonna eat the factory brakes up....and they're already crappy (rotors warping & such). There's a reason why those 20" wheels are on the SRT-10....because it's got the Viper motor & it's got HUGE/good brakes.

Car & Driver ranked the Dakota as the worst performer in 2005 for Braking....229 feet to stop from 70 to 0 mph
(January 2006 magazine)

Just something to think about...

Old 01-14-2006, 05:05 AM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

okay thanks for that thought, I never have understood how bigger wheels eat the brakes, is it cuz it takes more to stop because of rotational mass? cuz like, the tires I wanna get, if the 20's were only like 1.x inches taller than the stock tires are.

Old 01-14-2006, 08:30 AM
snobrdrdan
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well yeah.....rotational mass

First the tires would be taller (and that'll throw your speedo off too)

Second, and the biggest thing, is that the wheel is gonna weigh A LOT more since it's obviously bigger.

All that rotating mass requires bigger/better brakes to stop....the stock brakes suck as it is. I can't imagine how much more worse they could get with a bigger wheel/tire combo on there
EEK!

Quick Reply: Y'all are gonna get sick of me.