3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Run wire to battery

Old 01-21-2006, 09:42 PM
jimboscomp
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Run wire to battery

Hi! I just bought a 400watt power inverter for my truck, I'll most likely be running my iBook off of it and a printer (printer only on long trips when I go out of state). But if I run it through the 12v outlet in the cab it can only handle 150 watts, and I know somewhere along the line I'm going to require more than 150. I did this to my 01 Mistubishi Galant, but finding a place to run the wire to my battery in my Dakota hasn't been as easy. Does anyone have info on where I can run this cable to the battery from the cab? I have a quad cab and I will be placing this inverter underneath the back driverside seat. Oooorrrr, if you recommend I only hook it up to the battery when it's absolutely needed should I just leave it as it is and keep the terminal cable on hand instead of just running it to the battery? THANKS!

Old 01-21-2006, 10:18 PM
Drakkon
Professional
Default RE: Run wire to battery

there should be a hole near the steering column / firewall that two wires are already going through (or at least there were two on mine)

Old 01-22-2006, 05:46 AM
snobrdrdan
Captain

I've always used the big rubber grommet where the hood release latch cable goes thru the firewall, on the Dakotas.

Just look under the dash and follow the cable from the hood release lever & you'll see it.......pull the rubber grommet towards you and it slides/pops out of the firewall. Cut a very small hole for the wire (just barely big enought for the wire to slide thru--to keep a tight seal) going to the battery and feed it thru there.

It's easy to do and provides a good seal (no water or air or anything).

Then pull/pop the trim/door sill up on the driver's side (next to the driver's seat) and just route the wire under the carpet and then run it to under the driver's seat (or wherever you want it).

If it's nice out today....I'll get a picture for you.

Old 01-23-2006, 08:47 PM
snobrdrdan
Captain

BTW, I use the factory fuse box as a cover for the inline fuse.

Pics as promised....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Run wire to battery