3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Malfuntion Indicator Light

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 07:36 PM
Dak_in_Black
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Malfuntion Indicator Light

[:@] Got in the truck today and the "Malfunction Indicator Light" came on.

I normally just use the truck in and around town. The only thing "different" I have done is to drive it from Miami, Fl to Brunswick, Ga. (I did that last week) and it has pretty much been parked since then. This past weekend I bought a bottle of Seafoam and poured it into the tank (about 1/2 tank in the truck) after I parked at the hotel. I drove it once early in the week, about 5 miles I would reckon, and did not notice the light. However, I did notice it today.

I am thinking the Seafoam in the gas is causing the light to come on and once I clear that tank, it should go off.

I have a 450 mile trip back to Miami that I need to make, so I am looking for some suggestions. Don't really want to take it to a local dealer if I don't have to.

thanks!!

Old 02-01-2006, 08:26 PM
Trest
Rookie
Default RE: Malfuntion Indicator Light

If it aint acting weird and the light isnt blinking, Your fine. and also, Check the gasp cap youd be shocked how often that causes a CEL

Old 02-02-2006, 01:38 AM
stantheman
Professional

alot of those gas treatments ask you to drive it after installing, after you parked it did you just let it sit after putting that stuff in there?
the light normally wouldnt go out unless it sees a certain number of good trips in the comp. if it is still in warranty take it over to dodge dealer and have them check the code, wont cost you a thing unless its something that it doesnt cover. the gas cap idea above can be a thought.

Old 02-02-2006, 03:14 AM
danpfay99
Rookie

Yep, go fill up the tank, then make sure the cap is on tight.

Old 02-02-2006, 09:08 AM
Dak_in_Black
Veteran

ORIGINAL: stantheman

alot of those gas treatments ask you to drive it after installing, after you parked it did you just let it sit after putting that stuff in there?
the light normally wouldnt go out unless it sees a certain number of good trips in the comp. if it is still in warranty take it over to dodge dealer and have them check the code, wont cost you a thing unless its something that it doesnt cover. the gas cap idea above can be a thought.
Yeah, I did. Probably not the smartest thing to do, but I never had a problem with other vehicles. I will be calling the Dodge dealer and see what they say.

thanks folks!!

Quick Reply: Malfuntion Indicator Light