3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

My Audio Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 09:02 PM
Drakkon
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Audio Upgrade

Well i finally took the splurge and decided to upgrade the system. I'm more of a SQ guy than a SPL guy so no subs but some nice components that sound infiniately better than the factory things. Went with CDT CL-61A components and an Orion 4002 amplifier.

View all the pics here:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2073077/4

For all those looking to install speakers - watch out for speaker size. The factory hole doesn't quiet fit 6 1/2"'s like it should. You can purchase an adapter but my midranges were just too deep and would be right up against the window (when it was down). Also getting wiring down (which wire was which for power/ground, r/l f/b speakers, etc)) wasnt fun either, luckly the manual has the coloring guide and just a matter of figuring out what the color codes ment

Old 02-19-2006, 09:33 PM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My Audio Upgrade

I like it a lot man. Two thumbs up.

Old 02-19-2006, 09:55 PM
WorrGames
Professional

Awesome, it must sound great. Congrats on the project

Old 02-20-2006, 03:34 AM
PEPPERHEAD
Professional

Looks good dude. I have heard nothing but good things about those CDT's. Do your doors have have plastic tubes the stock speakers were mounted in? Or do those CDT's just have really deep baskets? I replaced mine with Phoenix Gold ZR6.5's using plastic adapter rings. Due to the oversize basket dia wise I had to remove the inner 1/8" of material. Either way nice clean looking install.

TASTE THE HEAT AND ENJOY THE PAIN

Old 02-20-2006, 08:54 AM
snobrdrdan
Captain

Hmm....

Interesting install. I've never seen the (aftermarket) speakers attached to the door before....good idea though.

I love the install of the amp though...looks sweet.

I know you already did it, but when I put my Infinity door speakers in....I just used the black thick plastic factory speaker adapter & screwed the speaker into that and then attached that back to the door. Did that on my 2004 QC I had too since the aftermarket speaker adapters don't work very well (didn't even fit my '05).

Old 02-20-2006, 12:51 PM
Drakkon
Professional

I could never get the outer ring off the stock speakers was my main problem. I didnt want to totally trash the stock speakers (although i probobly should have) to check maybe how i might get them off but it just seems like it was molded onto the ring? Also, like i mentioned, they are a little tall so it just made for too tight of a fit against the window. Mounting them to the panel gave em an extra few cm or so from the window, whcih im sure the window appreciates when down.
well too late now, and i like the CDT grills anyways since they match the panel fairly well

Old 02-20-2006, 03:28 PM
PEPPERHEAD
Professional

Piece of cake to seperate the speaker from the stock mounting ring/tube. They put a very pliable almost sticky gasket material on the speaker. I used a small common tip screw driver and worked it around the speaker and they came loose.

Old 02-20-2006, 04:52 PM
Drakkon
Professional

WEll from waht i saw there were 6 screws, 3 for the moutning to the door, 3 for the mouting to the tube...took all 6 out...removed the tube from the door, removed the mouting/speaker from the tube and now i have two pieces, one ring and one speaker with a moutning that seems attached.
Was there one more step of screws or gasket to pry the moutning from the speaker? Thats where i got stuck, couldnt pry the moutning from the tube, or at least i couldnt find a way?

Old 02-21-2006, 12:42 AM
PEPPERHEAD
Professional

Hey Drakkon,
I may have confused what you said. The 3 prong mounting ring that came off with the speaker-that is part of the OEM speaker. It does not come off. To mount the new speaker you have to buy or fabricate adapter rings to mount the new speakers to the speaker tube attatched to the door. Adapter rings will have the 3 tabs for attatching back too the mounting tube. You will probably have to trim the inner 1/8" of material around the ring. Most "quality" after market speakers have oversized baskets. I'm sure your CDT's fall into that group. Maybe a pic of your pieces would help. Hope this makes sense and good luck. After market speakers makes a helluva difference hey?

Old 02-21-2006, 02:17 AM
Drakkon
Professional

yep now were on the same page. I sought out the aftermaket rings during my attempt to install and your right, they needed to be shaved if i wanted to fit the speakers in. also speaker was still just too deep for my taste because it seemed like it would be really close to the window. So i tried to make my own adapter out of some mdf, but it was just taking too long and i didnt have the right tools :P Thus gave up and just bolted them into the panel. Now after a full day of driving im just lovin em even more. blasted them on the way home with the windows down and it was great to listen to clear loud music again I might go back later and drill out proper holes in the panel (right now the original grill is hiding in there), and dremel off the bolts/spray paint them so you cant see em so prominently. I definately need some rear fill now though as i think i blew out the stock rears this afternoon [:'(] oh well whats a sound system that isnt ever evolving right? this is actually my 10th install in a car i own, probably about 50th overall, dont do it pro, just for friends and for fun
hopefully this thread is giving some insight to what all you can do if you are thinking of swapping out the stock speakers and end up with oversize baskets

Quick Reply: My Audio Upgrade