3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Considering an 06'... few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 12:48 AM
gatruck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering an 06'... few questions...

New member here. Before I get flamed I did use the search features, just wanted some more up to date information.

I'm considering an 06' Dakota Quad Cab ST. Basic truck with either the 6sp manual or auto and 3.7. Primary uses are a daily driver to work and towing my 18' fishing boat. First question is gas mileage. Seems to be some inconsistencies here about reported gas mileage. I know it depends on a lot of different variable... towing, lead foot, etc... but for the most part are you folks seeing the estimated CITY miles.

The sticker does not show a gas mileage difference between the 6sp or auto, but anyone have any real world numbers between the two?

I'm leaning toward the 6sp, just so I can put some fun back into my driving and price is somewhat of an issues since we just had a new little guy join the family.

What are your guys take on styling. When I first saw the truck I thought it was FUGLY, BUT it is really starting to grow on me. Anyone have that same experience?

Last but not least, number one priority... what about an infant rear facing seat in the back? Obviously, I will give it a try for a good fit, but the salesman didn't seem to knowledable in this area. Seems like the truck is only fitted for outboard latch but I should just use the inside latch of each side for the seat? Hope that makes sense...

One last thing... looked like some folks had inquired about a leveling kit... is one currently available?

Thank for any input!

Old 02-20-2006, 01:11 AM
Drakkon
Professional
Default RE: Considering an 06'... few questions...

CITY miles on my 4.7 CC is 14MPG....I've been tracking for a couple months now and thats been pretty consistant. I dont think there is any good way to check man vs auto usage reguardless of vehicle, each person shifts a bit differently and just like people that have a lead foot they could shift high or low. I'm sure even the best driver might be able to get an extra 1-2mpg outta a tank using manual maybe but i doubt you'd really beat auto by any drastic ammount.

I still think my truck is a bit "square" when viewed from the back and sides. Kinda looks like an old go-bots transformer (am i aging myself here? :P). But as I'd added the tonneau and a hoodshielf its kinda given it a couple little extra details that have made it a little better.

Not sure about the babyseat, the salesguy that i got mine from seemed to hype the quad cab as great for kids seats, and my CC has a little panel with access specifically for a child seat, so I'd think the QC would have something just as good if not better.

Leveling kit - http://performancelifts.com/cgi-bin/cart/PER61062.html - 2 inch levleing kit - strut spacers
havent gotten one but considereing getting it or a lowering kit but waiting for the next paycheck to waste

Old 02-20-2006, 01:44 AM
maxmax
Rookie

Best mileage ever was on interstate with 19.2 mpg. Normally I drive 45 miles round trip to work and back. Speed varys from 50 to 30 mph overall average is 16.9 mpg. No help on the child seat to old to have them.

Old 02-20-2006, 03:16 AM
ViperGTS
Banned

We recieved about 18-19 MPG with our 05 Quad Cab Dakota with the V8 Laramine. About styling, I thought the Dakota was ugly as well, but it has grown on me. You might also want to consider the Toyota Tacoma, Car and Driver's truck of the year for 2005. They run about the same price and I've heard the Tacoma is a must own fun to drive vehicle. Plus there's that TRD package. Whatever you buy though, keep us informed.

-Matt-

Old 02-20-2006, 08:35 AM
snobrdrdan
Captain

Something to consider....

The mileage numbers on the sticker price of the vehicle are TOTALLY wrong!!!

Didn't you see/hear that in the next couple years they're (the EPA) is going to be redoing their testing of the gas mileage numbers?? They don't do them according to the real world numbers.
http://www.caranddriver.com/article....ticle_id=10557

It was in Car & Driver I think (can't find the article).....but when they put the "highway" number on their stickers.....they test the vehicle doing 45 mph!!! Who in the hell does 45mph on the freeway!?!?!
And the "city" number is doing 20-30 mph!!

But anyways....they're gonna reconfigure their testing to the real world situation....i.e. 65-70mph on a freeway to provide more accurate MPG numbers

Old 02-20-2006, 08:46 AM
snobrdrdan
Captain

ORIGINAL: gatruck

What are your guys take on styling. When I first saw the truck I thought it was FUGLY, BUT it is really starting to grow on me. Anyone have that same experience?

One last thing... looked like some folks had inquired about a leveling kit... is one currently available?
Yeah I thought the same thing & I'm sure everyone else here has.

The new Dakota wasn't the prettiest thing when it hit the market, but then once you own it....it just grows on you.
It also really drives nicer than the previous generation of Dakotas (no offense).

And there is a leveling 2" kit for the front as mentioned

And also a rear leveling (lowering) kit for the rear as well on ebay...it's just shackles (simple to do). When it warms up....mines going on.

To be brutally honest, the mileage on these trucks suck.......so it's already crappy to begin with.
So when considering a truck.....4x4 is gonna hurt the mileage a little as well versus a 2wd drive version.
And then the difference between the V-6 & V-8 mileage is pretty minimal as well, so you feel like you gotta go for the V-8.

So you might have wanted a V-6 2wd, but in the end a V-8 2wd or 4x4 is only get a little worse mileage.....1 or 2 MPG which is very minimal since the truck probably only gets 17 MPG (average) to begin with.

My truck is a QC V-8 that had 3.55 gears stock......I got 16.7 MPG average between half city/half highway. It would get higher numbers if I was strictly doing highway, but the city kills the mileage since it has low gears & it weighs a lot (takes a lot of gas/throttle to get it moving)

But I just went to 4.10 gears a week ago (still breaking them in) and I see the needle isn't moving as much in the city anymore (the gears are doing the work instead of the engine), but on the freeway it's sucking more gas now......so it was a tradeoff. But it'll get better acceleration off the line now.

And getting a tonneau cover will help with mileage as well.
hope that helps

Old 02-20-2006, 12:55 PM
gatruck

Thanks for all the info. I'm just about convinced this morning the Dakota is the best bang for the buck. The Quad Cab ST I am looking at is only $18k. (Base model with floormats, AC and Auto) Toyota was around $24k.

The look continues to grow on me and I could always hang out here and get some good ideas for mods. [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Quick Reply: Considering an 06'... few questions...