3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.
View Poll Results: A poll
SnugTop
0%
Leer
6.90%
A.R.E.
3.45%
Undercover (VersaCover)
17.24%
Retractable
6.90%
Gaylord
6.90%
Soft cover, roll or fold up
41.38%
Other
6.90%
No thanks, I prefer a cap.
3.45%
What's a Tonneau?
6.90%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Tonneau cover preference?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006 | 04:37 PM
saroni
|
Default RE: Tonneau cover preference?

Thanks, ptschett. A lot of innovative options out there for sure. Thankfully, I moved away from snow 10 years ago to semi-sunny CA...but, I do miss the ice fishing.

Old 03-01-2006 | 04:45 PM
snobrdrdan
Captain

It definitely does look like a cool/neat cover

I've never seen it before, but I like it

I just couldn't afford it....LOL

Old 03-01-2006 | 04:57 PM
saroni
|

Yeah, looks promising. I couldn't really afford it either...but hey, my 6 month old boy just "had to have it". Or so mom was told. ;-)

Old 06-29-2006 | 07:39 PM
superdak05
Champion

i just purchased an A.R.E. low pro cover, its sweet pics are in my gallery

Old 06-29-2006 | 10:56 PM
V8MANual
Captain

EXCELLENT CHOICE! I had the Undercover on my 2002 Dakota and didn't realize how great it was until I traded for an '05 with an OEM fiberglass cover. The only negative with the Undercover is two separate locks (I open and close my cover 20 times a day to access inventory). My fiberglass cover is nice and shiny, with one lock, but is HEAVY! and I scratched the thin paint the first time I sat a single cell phone in a box on it! The Undercover could not be scratched by case of 50 phones. Also the OEM black paint blisters my fingertips about 20 times a day when I close the lid! The Undercover's flat black, grained, plastic was not near as hot to the touch. I paid $700, installed, for my Undercover, and I'm seriously thinking about another one. Anyone want an almost new OEM cover, cheap?

Old 07-13-2006 | 06:36 PM
Jagged1

I have the undercover on my 05 Dak Quad cab and it's been great so far...

It is real light on my little box and can be removed easily unlike most fiberglass covers. If you haul larger items a fiberglass cover is a pain to remove and the risk of damaging it is high... The Versacover is a quick remove cover and it looks factory too.

I got mine for my quad-cab because we always have to carry strollers, chairs, and the shopping items in the back and I don't want to lose stuff. We live in a rural area and make trips to the city (Albany NY area) to shop on occasion and we don't have to worry about where to put stuff with this cover. We normally like to go to many stores in one trip since gas is a killer now and it helps to have space to carry stuff.

With two kids in the backseat there is little room for anything else and it's not as safe to carry stuff in the cab that could fly around and kill you in an accident. I lock the stuff in the back and it is well protected and less of a hazzard.

I agree the two locks is a minor pain. I wish it had a single lock system too. It's something you get used to but it is something they could improve upon.

The price is a bit high, but it is a great cover and so far I'm happy with it. In the upstate NY winters it's great and doesn't have a problem with snow load or trying to retract or fold up. The finish makes it easy to clean off snow and ice and the black cover in the sun will sheet anything you decide to leave. Sometimes I just brush a few bare spots and park it in the sun and it cleans itself off during the day.

Mine even has 3 bright leds built into the back end right above the tailgate for a neat little light. It runs off batteries and is handy when you are in the dark. You don't have to try to hold a flashlight while you load/unload. I never saw that in their advertisement and pushed the button on it wondering what it was and was blinded by the stinking thing. [8D] It's quite bright!!

Anyways I know they are not cheap, but I believe you would be very happy with the Versa-cover. It's a nice idea and decent design. It has the protection of a hard cover and is removable too.

Quick Reply: Tonneau cover preference?