3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Brakes/rear bumper rust/Lemon truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 02:11 AM
dots0019
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes/rear bumper rust/Lemon truck

my 2005 dakota has 10,000 miles on it, it has had brake problems since about 7000 miles, they started squiking at 7000 miles, took the truck in and the dealer said all was good, yesterday i dropped it off at another dealer and it now needs brand new rear brakes and rotors need to be resurfaced, the truck also seems to have alot of rust on the undercarriage also, rear bumper has rust spots too, dealer says they will replace it when it rusts more

the speedometer cluster had to be replaced at 3000 miles

what a truck, i wonder if i should dump this thing now before its too late

anyone else with brake, rust problems?

Old 05-14-2006, 05:18 AM
snobrdrdan
Captain
Default RE: Brakes/rear bumper rust/Lemon truck

Well if you got a chrome rear bumper.....it'll develop rust spots. Especially if it goes unwashed during the winter....it's from the salt.

I'm in Michigan & mine had little tiny rust spots on it too (didn't get washed all winter)....I cleaned my truck up finally like 3-4 weeks ago and took a little chrome cleaner to the rear bumper.....they all wiped right off and it looks like brand new again.

Same thing with the underbody.....one winter will kill it and make it look all rusty. The only way to avoid it is to not drive the truck or drive it only on nice days. It's the weather....rain/snow/salt that does it & you can't do anything about it.

Water + steel = rust

Old 05-14-2006, 04:23 PM
ssenay
Rookie

unfortunately i live in new england also. i washed that thing at least once a week. gets expensive but i think it helps.

Old 05-15-2006, 04:05 AM
snobrdrdan
Captain

Washing it does help, but it still isn't gonna prevent it....u know?

It just happens & you can't do anything about it.....unless, like I said, not drive the car/truck which wouldn't make any sense since it's just a Dakota (not a Ferrari...lol)

Quick Reply: Brakes/rear bumper rust/Lemon truck