3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

I know I am going ot get flamed for this one.............

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 11:21 PM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I know I am going ot get flamed for this one.............

Ok, so I got my gear ready, and I want to do my oil changes myself. But for the LIFE of me..... I can NOT find my drain plug. Can someone shed some light on this subject PLEASE!?!

Also, what size is the drain plug?

Old 08-04-2006, 12:40 AM
maxmax
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I know I am going ot get flamed for this one.............

Are you a natural blond or what?. Get under that truck and look at the bottom backside of the oil pan. Did you not download the 05 Dakota service manual so you could look up information. You may also not know where to add the oil. You will need to remove the 710 cap. You made my day. It reminded me of a guy I meet who spent hours changing his oil. He added all five quarts thru the dip stick tube. Oh by the way your dak uses 6 Quarts of 5w-30w
ORIGINAL: Frenchy

Ok, so I got my gear ready, and I want to do my oil changes myself. But for the LIFE of me..... I can NOT find my drain plug. Can someone shed some light on this subject PLEASE!?!

Also, what size is the drain plug?

Old 08-04-2006, 01:05 AM
Frenchy
Banned

Oh, I know what it takes, where it goes, and how much I need. I just couldn't find that damn drain plug. Oh well.

Old 08-04-2006, 01:17 AM
jimboscomp
All Star

don't worry, i'm pretty dumb, i have no idea where the drain plug is either...of course here in california it's easier to just go to someone and have them do it for you rather than do it yourself, cause of the hazardous waste roundup doesn't come along but every 3-6 months and i can't store used oil that long...lol

Old 08-04-2006, 01:29 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

good luck in changing your oil. look at the cross member thats right below the plug. then look how clean you are. the first time i didi my oil change the oil went all over the cross member and the drive way. now dodge does the oil change. they must have some special funnel that connects to something so the oil does not flow everywere

Old 08-04-2006, 01:34 AM
maxmax
Rookie

Ok Frenchy, to make life easier for your oil changes, you need to get a Fumoto oil valve, type F-106 w/nipple to replace that drain plug. The valve should cost around $22 to $26. Check out the plug location with the oil valve installed on my truck. Hookup a 8 inch piece of 3/8" plastic tubing to the nipple to direct the oil. Without the valve and the tubing the oil will always drain on to the cross member below it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/28672/EC3005D4B11D4AA8BC96AE305267CFCC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-04-2006, 01:44 AM
Frenchy
Banned

Ok... pshew.. so I am NOT a total idiot. That is the plug I was tihnking it was.. but had NO idea how to get the oil out without getting it all over that crossmember!!!!! w00t!

I am not entirely stupid!!

Old 08-04-2006, 08:07 AM
Deer Hunter
Veteran

Where do I get one of those valves? I too, am flippin' over that cross member.

Old 08-04-2006, 08:38 AM
Agrippa

Another genius selling point from the mutts that designed this truck. What simple moron designed that and what was his/he reasoning. [:'(]

Old 08-04-2006, 09:02 AM
Deer Hunter
Veteran

Anything to discourage the shade tree mechanic. It's like all those special tools they now have to remove and replace certain parts. Ever see how much those stupid tools cost? A heck of a lot more than you'll ever want to spend on something you'll probably only use once. My wife's Intrepid has the belts buried so far up in the nosecone, you have to stick your face in the engine compartment and bend over and look forward. Change them? I can barely see them. That's why you're told you'll void the warranty by using after market upgrades. They don't want you working on your own vehicle and they don't want to work around non-stock parts.

Quick Reply: I know I am going ot get flamed for this one.............