3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Startup noise?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 04:11 PM
Glk21C
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Startup noise?

I found out Friday afternoon that the RM has not let this die. I will be checking in with him monthly to see what corporate has found out.

For anyone else that seems to think they have a similar problem to mine, it is imperative that you get to whatever dealer you feel comfortable with and get their regional manager involved. The more corporate hears about it, the more heads they will put together to realize this is not a normal condition.

Old 09-25-2006, 04:55 PM
mark_pruett

FWIW, I changed my oil yesterday to 5w-30 Pennzoil Platinum, and this morning, the valve noise seemed to have gone away. I'll keep monitoring it to see if it changes.

I'm wondering if Carmax put 5w-20 in it when they changed the oil or something like that.

Old 09-25-2006, 07:56 PM
Glk21C
Professional

pesonally I have always used what DC recommends, 5W-30

Old 09-25-2006, 08:19 PM
mark_pruett

Me too.... but when I bought it from Carmax, they'd just changed the oil, or at least that's what the sticker said.

Old 10-09-2006, 08:44 AM
Glk21C
Professional

UPDATE: Goes back in this morning for another listen. I stirred something up when I sent the soundbites I have to the service manager at the dealer and he forwarded them off to his regional manager.

Old 10-09-2006, 07:49 PM
QCDAKblue
Veteran

Can you post the sound bites?

Old 10-10-2006, 12:57 AM
Glk21C
Professional
Old 10-10-2006, 11:00 PM
Glk21C
Professional

UPDATE: The regional service manager that wanted to listen to it again (he had already last month) listened again today. Also, he heard the recorded sound clips I have of the noise. For some reason the sound bite (evidence I guess) told him to authorize removing the cylinder heads (they are only doing the passenger side first) and look for any abnormal wear patterns in any of the parts that are uncovered when removing the head that in theroy should be there. If something is clanking around in there you would think it is leaving some kind of wear mark.

We'll see....

Old 10-11-2006, 04:13 AM
graythang
Record Breaker

For God sake have them replace the truck instead of using you and your Dak as a Gina pig. Do you really have the time and stamina for their factory F-up? Is this what you’re making payments for? None of us should have to be put through any of this crap. Last I remembered we are the customer just look at that payment book.

Old 10-11-2006, 08:27 AM
Glk21C
Professional

they are not going replace the truck when even the factory has not acknowleged there is even a problem. An attitude like yours is why so many mechanics at dealerships and their bosses don't really care what they do. Would you just chill out already. Deal with your problems your way I'll deal with mine my way. I am dissapointed I have had more issues with this truck (this engine noise being the biggest) then I had with my 02 but it is still a great truck. Things happen and you have to just deal with it. At least when they finally find out what's wrong it will benefit the other people across the country who are having the same issue. Getting a new truck won't.

I think you've done a lot of complaining on this forum, I hope whatever the issues your truck is having gets rectified. good luck

Quick Reply: Startup noise?