3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

06 Dakota Stock Speaker Specs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 02:57 PM
Spenc79
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 06 Dakota Stock Speaker Specs?

I've got an 06 Quad cab and I agree the stock 4 speaker system is not impressive at all. It's the only issue I have with the truck. Of course it still has the new car smell!

Old 08-11-2006, 06:18 PM
PEPPERHEAD
Professional

Replacing the stock speakers are not plug-n-play. You will need to buy Metra harness adapters to connect the speakers or use wire taps. You will also have to buy adapter rings to mount the new speakers unless you buy a 6 3/4" set. Buy the adapters or make some from 1/4" plywood and go with 6.5" speakers. Way more options. If you do not have the Infinity system you can get 6.5" coaxs or a component set. On the non-Infinity trucks the front door panels have the space outlined for where the tweeter goes. Or you can mount them down near your mids. A lot depends on what you plan to do with your system. I had the Infinity system which is a POS and replaced it all and added a sub. If you don't plan to run a sub get a good set of components that will play low and amp them and replace the HU. The quality of the sound will increase 10 fold. And don't worry about rear speakers if you install comps up front. The rears will only screw the front stage up. Again personal choice. Either way you go there are a lot folks here that have upgraded our systems and can give you plenty of pointers.
Good luck and glad too have you aboard.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:58 PM
sstreckfuss

So how hard would it be to add speakers in the aforementioned A-pillar? Is the wiring there?

Old 08-12-2006, 03:54 AM
PEPPERHEAD
Professional

Actually they don't mount in the "A" pillars themselves. They mount in the upper part of the door panels. If you pull the panels you will see the circle where the tweets would go if you had the Infinity system. No wiring in yours. Beside you wouldn't use the stock wiring if you will be installing an amp along with a new HU. Componet sets have a passive crossover that handles power to the speakers. If you plan to run them off HU power then just use wire taps from the speaker harness in the door. Those wires go to the crossover +&-. Then from the crossover to your mid and tweet respectively. If you will run off HU power make sure the speakers have a high sensitivity so they will sound good.

Hope this help and good luck.

TATSE THE HEAT AND ENJOY THE PAIN

Old 08-12-2006, 04:14 AM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yay for getting 3ohm speakers and running them at 375RMS each. :-)

Gonna need 12AWG for the speaker wire for these things. Haha...

Old 08-13-2006, 03:23 PM
ccaspanello

Thanks guys. I'm looking at the Infinity Component Speakers from Crutchfield. I'm going to put a sub box in the back, so I might not get the rear speakers. I will be replacing the stock head unit with a Pioneer head unit with the nice OEL color display, built in sub cross over, and iPod conections. I should be nice by the time I get done. Thanks for all the help on this thread and the other thread on custom sub boxes.

Chris

Old 08-13-2006, 04:36 PM
maxmax
Rookie

Here is some information on tweeters https://dodgeforum.com/m_484629/tm.htm which I put in my door panels and comments by snobrdadan. I believe he is correct, with just aftermarket tweeters added greatly improves the existing system. I would recommend this mod before doing expensive audio system upgrades.

Old 08-13-2006, 08:19 PM
sstreckfuss

ORIGINAL: maxmax

Here is some information on tweeters https://dodgeforum.com/m_484629/tm.htm which I put in my door panels and comments by snobrdadan. I believe he is correct, with just aftermarket tweeters added greatly improves the existing system. I would recommend this mod before doing expensive audio system upgrades.
Ahh so thats where they go...I have some 4-way 6.5 pioneers sitting in the garage from my Jeep. I was planning on adding them to the front doors, think adding tweeters in addition to those to the front would be too much High? Perhaps I should put my 4 ways into the rear and put some 3 ways with the extra tweeters up front?

Old 08-13-2006, 10:47 PM
Agrippa

On my late, lamented 97 Dak I had 2 amps (JBL) one drove the aftermarket Infinity speakers at 100 watts each. A second JBL amp drove a subwoofer at 400 watts. The sub was a Treo 12". Head unit was a Nakamichi. I'm a school administrator and the kids couldn't believe an old F**t like me had a system like that. It was impressively loud and most important--CLEAN. Nothing rattled--I just shake my head at these folks who have their trunk lids buzzing from a poor install.

I still have the speakers, the Nak, and the Treo. Katrina got the amps when the windows blew out from gravel on the school roof. Looking at the space in the CC I am going to have trouble putting the same system in, may have to use a rack for the amps and may have to lose the back seats--which doesn't matter only a hobbit could sit back there anyway.

I have the factory Infinity system in my 95 Dak. Trust me, it bites. It is adequate at best. I do like the controls on the steering wheel but I am going to give them up when the Nak goes back in.

And hey! I think we are finally about to be able to build our house!!

Old 08-13-2006, 10:49 PM
Agrippa

Correction--in my '05 Dak!!

Quick Reply: 06 Dakota Stock Speaker Specs?