3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Exhaust ideas

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 11:22 PM
Beazer
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust ideas

My Flowmaster 50 will be put on in the next week or so and I'm looking for ideas for the best performance and sound from it. I have several choices, some costing more than others.

1) Dump the dual outs before the axle
2) Run the duals out in front the rear tire with chrome tips...I'm skeptical of this because we just had a baby and she'll be riding in the seat where it exits.
3) Run the outs into a Y pipe, through the resonator and out behind the wheel like factory
4) Run the outs into a Y pipe and out behind the wheel WITHOUT the resonator

This muffler is a single in/dual out and the truck is a Quad Cab 3.7L V6. I'm looking for the best sound and performance, please give me some help here guys. This is the first mod on this truck and I want it right the first time.

Old 09-15-2006, 11:35 AM
luvmydak
Veteran
Default RE: Exhaust ideas

First thing I had Meineke do was dump EVERYTHING after the cats.My setup is single 2.5 in just past the cats to a Flowmaster SUV50 dual 2.5 out and split in front of the underbox spare and out to each side behind the rear wheels with slash cut stainless tips. All joints welded(recommend highly) Nice mellow rumble without being annoying.

Old 09-15-2006, 11:42 AM
Beazer
Rookie

Do you have this on a 3.7 or a 4.7? The "not annoying" sound is what I'm looking for. But, I want to get my money's worth of sound from the muffler, so if full pipes to the back will still give it, that's what I'm going to do. I'd rather have full to the back, but if I have to dump it for sound that's what I'm going to do. By all means, I don't want to have it redone over and over until I like the sound, so I want to try the best options first.

Old 09-15-2006, 12:16 PM
luvmydak
Veteran

I am confident you will love the sound of this set up. BTW I have the 3.7 in my '05 Dak. If still on the fence about the sound, go to www.flowmastermufflers.com and check out the sound clips. The clip for the SUV 50 does not do justice to what it actually sounds like on my ride. As I said in my last post, mellow, not annoying, rumble.

Quick Reply: Exhaust ideas