3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

trailer lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 04:47 AM
turbot_bird
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trailer lights

Dod dodge not put trailer light harnesses on these trucks? Mine has the bumper hitch on it but I cant find the light plug anywhere. Do they make a plug harness that just plugs in like the ones from discount? I need one before next friday. I dont like to pull with the bumper but I dont have time to install a class III before then. Also I saw 1 wire that just dead ends under there that has tape on it I think the wire was white anyone know what it is for?

Old 09-17-2006, 09:48 AM
sdsdsd
Captain
Default RE: trailer lights

No wiring without factory Tow package. UHaul should sell a kit to make wiring simple.

Old 09-17-2006, 12:06 PM
turbot_bird
Record Breaker

well that stinks.

Old 09-17-2006, 12:54 PM
Beazer
Rookie

The kit I bought was easy to install and took about ten minutes. I just had to take two screws out of each taillight and pop them out completely, the ends plug directly into the back of the housing and then plug the factory wiring into them, then put everything back. This is it http://www.etrailer.com/mm5/merchant...Category_Code= took about three days to get here, I ordered on Tuesday, received and installed on Friday and was on the water pulling flounder Saturday morning. The bumper hitch is actually a Class I hitch itself, I tow my 13ft Boston Whaler type boat fully loaded with it, nearly 1000lbs.

Old 09-17-2006, 01:27 PM
Blu_Dak
Veteran

ORIGINAL: turbot_bird

Dod dodge not put trailer light harnesses on these trucks?
Yup,you have to pay extra for the tow pkg.It's well worth it.IMHO.

It comes with class IV hitch,additional leaf spring,larger altonator,bigger battery,tranny cooler,engine cooler(what ever that is)additional fuses,heated tow mirrors,7pin & 4 pin light hook ups & underdash your dash wire hook up for electronic trailer brakes.Im sure Im forgetting some thing but it's been over a year since I bought mine.

You can buy a harnes @ U-Haul but make sure they don't hack it in most of ther guys there don't give a rats *** about you or there job!!!!

Blu_

Old 09-17-2006, 02:54 PM
ETXDak
Veteran

I thought I seen a T- connection for the Dakota,it plugs into the wiring harness for the rear lights,I believe they were available at U-Haul Hitch World,might be worth a call.

Old 09-17-2006, 05:14 PM
Blu_Dak
Veteran

T connection are mostly offered for Chevy and Dodge has the split tail light hook ups.Which I thik are a pain in the ***.

Blu_

Old 09-17-2006, 05:24 PM
Beazer
Rookie

There isn't a T-connector for the newer Daks without the tow package. The link I used is the exact kit and company I bought it from. Like I said, it only took 15 minutes or so to install and I had a 6-year old helping me, which probably added about 3 minutes to it. Simple hook-up though and the back end is completely open underneath so it's easy to run the wiring.

Old 09-17-2006, 11:47 PM
turbot_bird
Record Breaker

dang thats expencive, when I got my truck I dodnt have much of a choice of a tow pakage (long story)

Quick Reply: trailer lights