3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2005 Dodge Dakota Rough Idle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 04:33 AM
metall5468
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Dodge Dakota Rough Idle?

Hey All,

Less then a month ago I bought a 2005 Dodge Dakota from what I thought was a reputable Dodge dealership. I owned a 92 Totota P/U prior for many years. Besides wanting to keep my money here in the good old USA, I really liked the Dakota and wanted to purchase one. So I bought a nice 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7L Magnum V8 Quad Cab with I think a 5 speed Auto transmission.

However the truck idles really rough ALL THE TIME. The whole car shakes and it feels like it may be missing when it idles. The dealership keeps hooking it up to the machine and it keeps coming back with zero codes. This "Reputable"[:@] Dodge dealership did not trouble shoot anything, only checked the computer. Any ideas on why it could be idling rough? Or does anyone have the same problem?

Today marks the third time I brought it to the dealer I purchased it from. The all say it's normal and it's a characteristic of the engine. I say thats a bunch of bullsh*t. No Newer engine should shake when it idles. And if it's a characteristic of the engine than why when I started up another one it ran great.

Anyway I brought it to another dealer and they seem to maybe know whats wrong. However if they do not fix it I will be going to the state to seek out the lemon law ordeal. If they do fix it I will let you know what it was. The other Dodge dealership also hooked it up to the computer and came back with zero codes. So that is confirmed. But they are at least taking the time to troubleshoot it.

I am starting to feel like "I should have stuck with Toyota!"

Thanks,

~Steve~

Old 09-29-2006, 06:29 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 2005 Dodge Dakota Rough Idle?

IIRC, its a "known issue". Some trucks have it, others don't.
Feel free to visit the Gen. III Dakota forum.

Old 09-29-2006, 01:53 PM
metall5468

IIRC?

Old 09-29-2006, 09:48 PM
GemmySan
Rookie

If I Recall Correctly......IIRC

Old 08-17-2008, 01:42 PM
pmgelectronics
Question 2006 dodge durango

HI, JUST PURCHASED A 2006 DODGE DURANGO WITH 4.7 V8 MAGNUM ENGINE WHICH IS THE EXACT ENGINE THAT YOU HAVE IN YOUR DAKOTA AND AM ALSO HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM THAT YOU'RE HAVING SO YOU'RE NOT ALONE.. THE DEALER ALSO RAN THE COMPUTER ON THE TRUCK TOO. AND IT DID NOT COME UP WITH ANY CODES OR PROBLEMS.. THE GUY WHO I WAS TALKING TO ME IN THE DEALSHIP SAID THAT HE HAS THE SAME TRUCK THAT YOU HAVE AND HIS ALSO SHAKES THE SAME WAY TOO.. HE SAID THAT THE 4.7 V8 MAGNUM ENGINES ON THESE TRUCKS ALL SHAKES THE SAME WAY. HE SAID THE THAT'S HOW THEY WERE DESIGNS WHICH TO ME SOUNDS LIKE B/S BUT DON'T WORRY I'AM A RESEARCH TYPE GUY AND I WILL ASURE YOU THAT I WILL GET TO THE BUTTOM OF THIS PROBLEM AND I WILL KEEP YOU POSTED AND I HOPE IF YOU FIND SOMETHING OUT ABOUT THIS PROBLEM I HOPE THAT YOU CAN ALS0 KEEP ME POST TOO. THANKS

Old 08-17-2008, 02:03 PM
pmgelectronics

What does IIRC? mean please let me know...

Old 07-20-2010, 05:41 PM
jtw111
Default Iirc

I also have a 2005 dakota 4.7l. The last time I came across this issue time showed me it was the EGR valve. Put a new one on in 08 and now the rough idle has returned. Probably a crappy part or maybe the 10% ethanol the pumps are pushing. I have tried throttle body cleaner and new plugs to no avail.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:51 PM
Dakkkota
Record Breaker
Default ok

i bought my truck off a 78 year old pappy and idle was rough as hell... i beat my truck so bad. Pedal to the floor everytime and idle is ALOT smoother now. Can be an faulty EGR valve on PCV valve...and i heard alot of member in here solve the problem with the sea foam treatement in power brake hose while engine is running...look on youtube there is full of seafoam video.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:32 PM
sdsdsd
Captain

Maybe pull the I.A.C. off the side of the throtle bodyand clean it. They gum up alot and don't seat properly.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Hammond_Egger
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cleaning the IAC fixed the rough idle on my 2005 4.7....

Quick Reply: 2005 Dodge Dakota Rough Idle?