3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

clutch fans?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 09:09 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: clutch fans?

if you wish to remove your clutch fan and replace it with a upgrade electric, go ahead, just remeber they work off of a 40/45 amp fuse.this will draw a lot of power from the management control box. so if you are running aftermarket component, stero, amps, ect. you may need to upgrade some wires and things.but as far as the clutch fan goes. mostly used in stop and go traffic, on the highway very rarely unless you are standing on the throttle all the time. most people that tow go with the electric, it gives them a little more umph when getting up and going

Old 10-01-2006, 09:18 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: sdsdsd

Removing your clutch fan is looking for trouble. This is designed to turn the fan when it is needed. the fan turns of and free wheels at highway speeds. Hiway is when you don't need extra cooling from your fan.
Well the thing is is that you put a thermometer in the radiator and it kicks on when you reach the operating temp (essentially doing the same thing that the clutch fan is doing) that you want to be at so the only thing is as said above you are drawing more power from the battery. If you are really concerned about power loss go with a heavier duty alternator and get an optima yellow top. This is a great mod for people who's clutch driven fan is on it's way out or is already shot (like mine), what's an extra $150 for more mpg and performance gains.

Old 10-04-2006, 02:18 PM
Deer Hunter
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's an optima yellow top?

Old 10-04-2006, 04:03 PM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's an amazing battery.

I'm going to eventually need one, and a respun alternator for my system I'm running. :-)

Old 10-04-2006, 07:18 PM
trucky
Record Breaker

ooo i cant believe its taken me this long to ask! what kind of sound systems do you guys have and HOW did you get them? i relly miss my dual 12" 1000 watt subs from my old car...all i have now is alpine speakers...and even they barely fit. is this gonna cost a fortune in custom work?

Old 10-04-2006, 07:50 PM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha.... currently I am building a box to house my JL 13w7 and my Orion amps.

I'm gonna eventually buy some Boston Acoustics Pro50s and my truck will be running approx. 1800RMS. :-)

Old 10-04-2006, 08:52 PM
trucky
Record Breaker

i think my problem is its a quad cab so i cant just throw stuff in the back i gotta find tight spaces behind the rear seats or something

Old 10-18-2006, 11:32 AM
trucky
Record Breaker

could anyone help me with a model number on flexalite fans? i dont care about power consumption because i am uprgrading battery and alternator for future things... so i want something thats the most powerful that will fit...preferrably dual... any one know?

Old 10-18-2006, 12:11 PM
ETXDak
Veteran

I measured the radiator it's around 23x18 Flex-A-Lite makes the 180 Black Magic Xtreme,I have a Proform 15 inch that very similar to the Black Magic 150,I haven't installed it yet but here's the links for both,I'm not sure if they have a dual setup that fits our trucks.http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html...c_x-treme.html,,,,http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/black-magic.html,,,,,,,,,,Here's a pic of my Proform set up.

[IMG]local://upfiles/39512/9D8CEC9BDE0C4D70B09EE5461CCC2A9D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-18-2006, 01:04 PM
Daves05Dakota

I visited those links for the Elec Fans and nothing says anything about Gains of HP or Torq.
How much of a Gain are we talking about here?

These fans http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/black-magic.html seem to be for a 5.0 Mustang so all the mounting hardware will be for a 5.0 Mustang,.. How does this all play into the 2005 Dakota?

Do you have to then worry about the Serp Belt? I mean if you remove the Fan wont the Belt be to Big then?

D05D

Quick Reply: clutch fans?