3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

took my truck in today

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 09:21 AM
turbot_bird
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: took my truck in today

Ya, I know what I am doing. Ive built and fixed motors ranging from turbo efi inline 4's to small and big block v8's to mack inline 6's before. Ive looked at it and everything looks and feels ok, the noise sounds like it is inside the motor, possably bottom end but it dosent sound like rod knock.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:01 AM
trucky
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh i see, i'll havta remember that cuz im still at the learning phase. whats your next step in fixing this then?

Old 10-10-2006, 11:26 AM
turbot_bird
Record Breaker

I need a stethascope to pinpoint the noise then go from there.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:23 PM
trucky
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hahah good luck then bro... if you've done engines before can't you take yours apart when u have time and clean it up or something? sounds easier than it is i know

Old 10-10-2006, 12:35 PM
turbot_bird
Record Breaker

I dont want to take this one apart. Im probably going to change the oil to synthetic sence it is almost due and see if that changes anything.

Old 10-11-2006, 03:29 AM
graythang
Record Breaker

No it will not change the noise. The problem is the lash adjusters since there are no push rods or lifters the lash adjuster are at fault. Only heavier oil will make a difference or colder weather but not real cold temps. The thicker oil will make up for the defective lash adjusters that are suppose to be self adjusting as the cams ware. The noise will never go away and most likely become worse with age. Dodge has this problem with both the 4.7 and the 3.7 since they both have the same design in the use of the lash adjusters. Now in other words make Dodge come clean on this and do what needs to be done so you don't have to pretend to live with it or just lay down and really live with the non normal engine situation every time you turn the key.

Old 10-17-2006, 08:20 AM
Evolutions

TurboT_Bird, It almost sounds like you have the brake shudder problem. It's D/C's way to blow you off as they are having so many problems with the issue. Keep taking it in, different dealers if you have to. I'd go back and ask to speak to the manager about the difference in what they told you in reference to the TSB's.

Quick Reply: took my truck in today