3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 10:47 PM
skinsfan
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic oil

05 Dak...been reasearching Amzoil and some others. Anyone using a brand with good results or problems.

Old 10-10-2006, 10:54 PM
Glk21C
Professional
Default RE: Synthetic oil

used AMSOIL in my 02 for everything but the brakefluid and antifreeze. changed oil and filter at around every 20,000 for a while then settled on every 12000. When I traded it in January at 160,000 miles it ran as well as the day I drove it off the showroom floor in 02.

Use AMSOIL in my 06 for everything like above. Changes are made every 12000 miles. If you are going to choose the expense of going to a synthetic then get the full benefit of it and extend your drain intervals. The 3000 mile oil change interval is dinosaur technology. AMSOIL has known this for years, only last year did MOBIL 1 decide to join in on that advertising claim also.

Why do I use extended drain intervals? because I have oil analysis done peroidically to make sure is OK. Always has been

good luck

Old 10-10-2006, 11:04 PM
bkjtimp
Veteran

Just changed my Amsoil filter today at the 6 month mark. Only 5k miles but it needs to be changed with their filter at the 6 month mark. Since I changed the oil and filter in April, I can wait till next April to change the oil and filter again. Once a year oil changes (minus a filter change in the middle) sure sounds like extended drain intervals! BTW, it has not taken the dieseling sound out of my H.O. motor on warmup. I don't worry about it, seeing how another motor was taken down and they saw no damage.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:07 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/s.../oil-life.html

This is a link to a long term impartial test of Amsoil and Mobil-1.............

Dusty

Old 10-10-2006, 11:07 PM
skinsfan
Rookie

What is the cost diff for the Amzoil? Damn, I hate the think of waiting that long to change the oil, but I guess that is why you use the synthetic.

thanks for the link

Old 10-10-2006, 11:30 PM
Glk21C
Professional

go here http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...play.php?f=105 and talk to Steve the AMSOIL rep. I think he is paying the intial $20 to become a preferred customer so you can purchase at the same price dealers do. Steve's a good guy

good luck

Old 10-11-2006, 01:55 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

i really hope that this method of motor servicing will work, it just seems that it wont. oil and oil filters lubricate the motor, yes. but they also clean the motor. if you have any debris in your motor, (even microscopic) caused by natural wear and tear on parts, it would be removed at an oil change. when you spread out the time between oil changes 4-7x, the risk to your motor developing a problem and you not finding out about it until it is too late in increased just as much, if not more. i understand that you change the filter every six months, which is still a very long time in my eyes, but the filter doesnt catch the things you would be needing to see anyway.

in the end, does changing my oil once a year sound great? hell yeah! i hate having to get under my dak after work or on a sunday and change my oil, but i dont think the products out there have gone through enough "every day" testing to make sure they are a viable product for our motors. am i just ranting? probably. i am eager to see the feedback from all of you guys out there running the amsoil. lets revisit this post in some time with new findings.

Old 10-16-2006, 07:58 PM
mark_pruett

It's pretty painless on the 3.7 Dakotas.... the filter's right up front, and the pan plug is easy to get at as well. I'm putting in a Fumoto valve the next time I change my oil, so that I don't even need a wrench.

I'm using Pennzoil Platinum in my truck- so far, it's doing well. I used Mobil 1 for 150,000+ miles in my old Ford Ranger. I got to 198,000 before I sold it, and it still didn't burn any oil for the duration of a 5000 mile change, nor were there any engine problems.

My main problems with Amsoil are two fold: First, it's sold like Amway. I'm naturally leery of something that's sold in a multi-level scheme- why isn't it sold via normal retail chains, if it's so great? Second, only some of their oils are API certified. They go into a detailed song and dance about why they won't do it, but ultimately, with the exception of the few certified oils, I don't know what I'm getting, regardless of whatever they claim it's good for.

Old 10-16-2006, 10:52 PM
white26golf
Veteran

I use Royal Purple for my engine, have had it in for 7,000 miles so far, will probably change it at 8,000 though.

Old 10-17-2006, 12:37 AM
danpfay99
Rookie

Have used amsoil , in all my vech. since 1998, also trans & diff fluid. & air & oil filters never had a problem. Change filter at 5000 & oil at 10,000. AS for being proved a viable product amsoil has been around & in use by a heck of a lot of people since the 1970's that's good enough for me. just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: Synthetic oil