3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

brake issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 11:06 PM
momopar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake issues

Could anyone tell me the steps involved in getting the brake shutter problem fixed? My truck (as of tonight) is in for its second round what the service department. First time around they change the brake shoes, that helped for about 100 miles. I hate to keep taking it in over and over so they can change one thing at a time.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:18 AM
ETXDak
Veteran
Default RE: brake issues

They recut my drums and replaced the shoes that was around 18k,it started again a few 1000 back, I have 30k on it now been putting it off,it doesn't shake as bad so I'm not in any rush,there's a TSB out on the problem someone may know the # for it, help to get your dealer pointed in the right direction, soon as someone comes out with some aftermarket drums I'm ditching the factory ones.

Old 10-11-2006, 03:07 PM
Flyhalf
Professional

Not sure if the fix is permanent. But I got 2 front rotors and pads at 1200 miles. Rear drums were re-surfaced. At shortly after that, the shudder returned. They then replaced the rear drums due to excessive run-out. It's been about 3 weeks. All seems to be fine.

Old 10-11-2006, 06:04 PM
PEPPERHEAD
Professional

According to the dealer I bought my truck from the TSB only applies to 8.25" rear ends. And if over 12,000 miles or 12 months it is considered normal maintenance. And you eat the parts and labor. Not a Dodge only issue. Ford and Gm have same problems. Has to do with the drums and rotors being made in Mexico. I told them to bite me as I wasn't paying for OEM crap to have it happen again. In another month I'm replacing my rotors. And drums as well if I can find them.

Good luck.

Old 10-11-2006, 08:44 PM
ETXDak
Veteran

Pepper they mentioned the samething to me before they looked at it,I told them to call me before doing anything,they called told me about the TSB and said it was no charge.I guess mine qualified.

Old 10-11-2006, 11:20 PM
Big mike wolowski

I had to put slotted/cross drilled rotors all the way around I suggest to do that in front and put high end drums in the rear also replace the front pads and rear shoes even if there new the worpped drum will make the shoes wear wrong and that will worp the drums again also regrease the caliper slids so they move freely After I changed everything the problem was gone (I replaced everything in July) Dont let the dealer tell you that it will be ok if you reuse the old shoes

rotor sell on Ebay
Bendix drums or wagner they are pricy but it will work

Old 10-12-2006, 12:25 AM
ETXDak
Veteran

I've checked I haven't been able to find drums for the rear of my 05,you have a part#?,,,,,,,,I was checking around found Raybestos has a part # for the 05 rear drums but none for the 06 not sure it's a typo or what,have a bud that works at the Zone I'll see if he can find out anything, the part # is Raybestos #9765,,,,,,talked to my buddy he said AZ didn't handle Raybestos he's going to check Pep Boys for me tomorrow.

Old 10-12-2006, 01:48 AM
PEPPERHEAD
Professional

I hear ya. I'm going to replace everything. As far as parts go. They should be the same for 05-06. I may go to Les Schwab or maybe Midas. Just know I need to get rid of the OEM crap.

Old 10-12-2006, 01:50 AM
turbot_bird
Record Breaker

I want to know numbers of what fits an 06 also.

Old 10-12-2006, 02:04 PM
ETXDak
Veteran

I called the Raybestos Tech line this morning said they do offer drums for the 05,he said as of yet they haven't determined if they fit the 06.He also said supplies is limited so you may have problem finding them,He suggested CarQuest Part #80119,I would believe the 06 would be the same,might want to cross check the rear drum part# with Dodge although expierence tells me it might be a waste of time,seems they check for parts by vin#,anyway I let you know if find anything out.

Quick Reply: brake issues