3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.
View Poll Results: A poll
Order it in powdercoated black
40.00%
Order it in powdercoated black, but then paint it to match bbm
0%
Dont get steps
44.00%
Order in chrome, then get chromed again to match wheels gun metal grey
16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Nerf Bars (steps)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 12:26 AM
Night_Runner
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nerf Bars (steps)

I don't know how to powder coat things like how the night runner rims are done
the rims arnt powdercoated....their smoked chrome...you can chrome in dif colors...and i have a friend that works at a chrome shop and you wouldnt believe the designs they can do!....

Old 11-01-2006, 07:22 AM
lil
Captain

What I keep seeing on lower setting trucks like the Dakota is nerf bars with a nice dent in them from being high centered and then they look like crap, I just think unless you are a under 5' tall there is no use for them on a Dakota just something that is not functional.

Old 11-01-2006, 11:10 PM
paul05dak
Record Breaker

sorry, I think they look good and are functional

http://dodgetruckworld.tenmagazines....dak/326007.jpg

http://dodgetruckworld.tenmagazines....dak/326009.jpg

I like the chrome if you couldn't tell.. Sorry it was so dark when I took the photos

Old 11-02-2006, 12:57 AM
Night_Runner
Champion

paul that does look good...and lil as i am 5'4" i used it in my 2wheel drive ram all the time...i most likely will get them....but paul was that u that chose rechrome it gun metal grey to match my wheels? i would like to know if i can powdercoat metallic colors? if i can ill powdercoat it to match my paint, if not ill prob have them re chromed to match the wheels

Old 11-02-2006, 05:40 AM
trucky
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

paul05 only has 4 posts and he uses his 4th post to DEFY LIL?!?! wow... he must have courage.
i believe those of us with the offroad package (bigger tires and 4x4) are the only ones that MIGHT need nerf bars...and i say might because some of us (me) have fat aunts and short friends that could use them to get in.... it is a truck. also for older people...its not easy getting in even if it is a lower truck. but if ur getting it just for looks...lil is right about the damage they can collect over time. if ur gonna get them..have a lift in your near future...even if its an inch or 2...itd look/function better.

Old 11-02-2006, 07:01 AM
lil
Captain

Sorry I guess I was just thinking of myself when I step on a nerf bar on a Dakota I end up looking over the top of the truck and then have to duck down to get in (I'm 5'9") and I guess it would be the opposite for someone your height, and your right kids and other passengers would use them, I guess when I think of nerf bars I think of full sized trucks with 8" plus lifts on them that you have to take a running leap to get in, I do think they can look good but not once they get dented up if that happens to them.

Old 11-03-2006, 03:03 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

even though i lowered my dak, i might be getting some bars. i dont like the way the frame rails show under cab. getting the bars would cover up that unsightly black rail and make for a cleaner look.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:35 AM
bkjtimp
Veteran

Officially I'll say I got mine for my 7 year old son to aid in climbing in/climbing out of the truck. He's small for his age, had a bone marrow transplant and stuff, so anything to help him I will do it. But, never-the-less, I like the looks of them myself. So, double benefits for me!

Old 11-04-2006, 12:43 AM
Lipreader

These are the ones that I will be installing. They will have to be custom fab'd since they don't make anything like this for our Daks. Thank goodness I found a place relatively close that will fab them for me. Mine will run from back of the front wheel well to the front of the rear with a small step that will allow access to the bed from the side. I'm like bjk, they are mostly for my son (6) so he can get in easier and wife, but this is the style that I like the best.

cabelas.com

Old 11-07-2006, 06:14 PM
rick4dak
Veteran

If you like tubular side bars, look at summitracing.com. They have powdercoated stainless bars for the quad cab for $199.

Quick Reply: Nerf Bars (steps)