3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

'06 exhaust modifications

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 11:48 PM
drewp
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 exhaust modifications

I searched through the threads on this one. I'm a bit confused. I was looking at replaceing my exhaust w/ either a Gibson or flowmaster system. (i.e. remove all stock resonators, muffler, pipe, etc.) I see the flowmaster name mentioned a lot more than any other types in these exhaustdiscussions. Why? I'm looking for a throatier sound...notnecessarilya loud growl. Would the flowmaster system fit the bill? I've used a Gibson system in the past and liked the sound of it (on a Ford F250). It's just a bit more expensive than the flowmaster. At this point I'm not looking for an all stainless system.. Too expensive. Also, I've read where someone mentioned that the two (forward and aft) resonators are functioning as cat converters. Is this true? Would removing these give me problems in passing emmission inspections? I was under the impression that these were simply just muting the sound. Thanks,

Old 12-30-2006, 11:58 PM
RonnusTwo
Professional
Default RE: '06 exhaust modifications

As far as Flowmaster goes, you can simply buy a single muffler and have a shop "create" a system for you(for lesser $$$), or you can buy Flowmaster's full blown system for more $$$. The Gibson's that I have seen on the net are the full system, meaning from cat-back. The resonators, muffler, and all piping come off. Also, only the cats affect CO in the exhaust, not the resonators as they are only there for sound deadening.

Old 12-31-2006, 12:04 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i went with the imco 3 inch single catback on my 05 4.7 . dumped both resonators . truck has a low end growl to it. people ask were i got my dual exhaust from and when i tell them its only a single they compliment on the sound. go to www.grabthepower.com and listen to the sounds and see if you like them. system was 250.00 installed paid cash so no tax.or you can just buy a muffler and go get the pipes done at a shop.

Old 12-31-2006, 02:48 PM
dakoduh
Rookie

I just installed the gibson 3" system on my 06. It only took about an hour or so to put on, just unbolt stock stuff, bolt on new stuff Got it from summit, $450 for stainless, I think it was only $300 for aluminized. Sounds good, not too loud, deep rumblyHTH

Old 01-03-2007, 08:16 PM
Raddie

does anyone have a video of a gibson exhaust?

Old 01-03-2007, 08:39 PM
QCDAKblue
Veteran

Go to the gibson website and you can listen to the different trucks/cars. I have the gibson extreme and absoutly love it, it looks good and sounds nice. Little drowning at times but not bad. I get many complements on my truck. I reccommend it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/35602/34A6B9D932534DF6BE3C52B1ADCA1D77.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: '06 exhaust modifications