3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Salvage title story-

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 09:50 PM
snowlover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Salvage title story-

I did it. I bought an 06 with a salvage title. I waited until today, when I got my WA plates to come clean. Still thought something would screw up my deal.

I had to buy a Dakota. Seat capacity, towing capacity, external dimensions (especially width). I shopped for three months looking for a quad cab, 4x4, 4.7. I found several and made a spreadsheet of their price/miles. The best I could find that fit my exact requirements was an 01 with 52k or an 03 with 70k. I made offers on both and neiter was accepted. In the process, I found an 06 w/under 10k. Front driver side damage. The dealer sells lots of these 'salvage' rebuilds.I checked him out and did a carfax. I fly to Sacramento CA from Seattle, test drove it, demanded a few small things were fixed, (even had them pay for a return ticket if I was not happy) which they did quickly, then drove it home, 800 miles.

Today I just got my plates and the title is on its way. NowI fully expect to drive this truck in the ground, so no issue to me having a rebuild title.

Bottom line, I got an 06 with documented repair receits with under 10k miles with the exact right options for 2k less than an 03 with 70k miles. (I don't think everyone is fully honest about the prices they pay. They forget to mention that the deal they got was from an uncle, or their best friend who is a dealer.)

Now months from now, you can all say "you should never buy a salvage truck", but until then I plan on enjoying the truck.

It walks all over my 88 s15, so there will be no complaints about power and I am getting 18 hwy/14 city-towing and that is what I would expect.

A tonneau cover is about all I plan on adding. It will be a tri-fold from Extang or Lund.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:54 PM
Night_Runner
Champion
Default RE: Salvage title story-

congrats, any pics besides your avitar?

Old 01-17-2007, 10:00 PM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So how much you spend on it?

And more importantly, what small things did you have them fix up for you?
[align=left] [/align]

Old 01-17-2007, 10:44 PM
snowlover

13k There was a tiny transfer case leak that they fixed. The big issue was a scraping noise from the front passenger side. The mechanic said he couldn't hear it so I said I wanted my check back and they boooked my return flight. After I had the ticket, I told the salesman I still wanted the truck, but was ticked that the mechanic said he couldn't hear anything. We went for a ride together, heard the noise, returned to get the mechanic. He went for a ride, returned after hearing the noise and removed the front tire. He looked carefully around and found a small fender dart (plastic bolt) that had fallen between the caliper and dust shield that would work its way down to make a scraping noise, then when brakes were applied, it would stop again. He removed it, sound went away, I gave them the check and they cancelled my flight. Drove 800 miles home trouble free.

The exhaust has been modified and only has a small muffler behind the rear tire. Has a good sound to it. Other than that, its stock. I want a tonneu and cold air K&N type setup. I would challenge anyone to find any indication that it has been worked on. Paint matches perfectly and no fit/finish issues. Front headlight does gather condensation, any help for that? More pictures availble once it stops snowing in Seattle and I can clean it up!!!

Old 01-17-2007, 11:26 PM
Frenchy
Banned

It's not a small muffler, it's just a resonator.

That's all, so there is no huge canister looking type thing behind the cat then?

Old 01-18-2007, 12:48 AM
snowlover

Nope, just a straight pipe from the y to the rear axle, then over the axle and a small muffler looking thing then out the side behind the passenger tire. I actually would prefer to put something in just to soften the rumble. It does sound good, but gets on my wifes nerves.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:52 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

most trucks that receive salvage titles are totaled. and i thought it was against the law to try and get a salvage title revered. once the insurance company finds out the damage they are the ones to issue the salvage title or not. some states might be different, but in ct.once it is a salvage title its only good for parting out.

Old 01-18-2007, 03:20 PM
turbot_bird
Record Breaker

here in florida you can get a rebuilt title after insurance totaled it but it is a Pain.

Old 01-18-2007, 03:48 PM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker

Iknow peoplethat do this all the time. They will buy a totalled car, truck, SUV, whatever, fix them up and get them to look pretty,then sell them. One of them just finished up fixing an 05 Quad cab dodge ram with the 4.7. It had 25K on it and he paid 10K, but it was in rough shape. Its now his personal vehicle. Nothing wrong with buy a salvaged vehicle and fixing it in my opinion.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:59 PM
snowlover

Not illegal in Utah, California or Washington.

Getting it licensed was not as easy as having a dealer do all the paperwork, but not really that bad. The only sucky part was the WA state patrol had an inspection backlog of over 40 days. I could not get itlicensed until it was inspected. Not sure how legal it was, but I drove it on the CA 90 day temp dealer tag in WA until it was inspected.

It really blows my mind that this truck was totalled. It was not hurt that bad. I have been all over and under this truck before I bought it. I inspected it on a lift very carfully. The dealer said I could get a job for him as an "inspector" The truck was originally bought in Utah and the insurance company I used when I lived there is the one that totaled it.

I have all receipts.

Bumper cover, headlight assy, front fender, hood, lower control arm, airbag, new seat belt, new front window. The shop assembled it all, had it painted, all for 13k to me. Say what you want, but a non-reparied truck with the same mileage and condition would be in the 20k range. It was worth some cash to me. I would have never imagined I would own that new of a truck.I am toobig of tightwad.

[IMG]local://upfiles/49902/49AA22E0434A42AC8204EE4B265ACE60.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Salvage title story-