3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

compass thing

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 04:02 PM
06dak
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: compass thing

For '05/'06 it came as part of the convenience package, separate from the Sirius... I think for '07 sat radio and this are standard with the SLT.

Anyone know, if you run it off the wires for the dome light what exactly works? (temp, Homelink, compass, etc). I can understand econ not working since it would need input from the main ecu or at least the IP, and maybe temp not working since there'd be no exterior sensor, but would Homelink and the compass work or would it just give you an error?

I'd really like one for compass, temp, and especially Homelink (I'm short a opener, and my last cars had it).

Old 01-23-2007, 04:43 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

You might want to remove your existing upper light assembly and see if it is already prewired for the addition. From what I have heard, all Dakotas come with that option already wired in, ready for plug and play, due to keeping costs down. Example: It is more expensive to make 500 of one harness and 500 of another than it is to make 1000 of one. I would check mine, but I have an SLT and it came with the truck already installed.

Old 01-23-2007, 07:51 PM
Night_Runner
Champion

ORIGINAL: virused

You might want to remove your existing upper light assembly and see if it is already prewired for the addition. From what I have heard, all Dakotas come with that option already wired in, ready for plug and play, due to keeping costs down. Example: It is more expensive to make 500 of one harness and 500 of another than it is to make 1000 of one. I would check mine, but I have an SLT and it came with the truck already installed.
thats the thing. night runners were only avail on slt's so, im hopin its pre-wired. ill figure thigs out this weekend when i have time

Old 01-23-2007, 07:54 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Night_Runner
thats the thing. night runners were only avail on slt's so, im hopin its pre-wired. ill figure thigs out this weekend when i have time
I would assume so, although you know what they say about assuming. I am pretty sure that the wiring will be there.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:57 PM
Kerrbear219
Professional

It's not for Sirius. I have this in my truck. It did come in the convenience package. It has mpg, temp. compass, homelink (sync to garage door opener), It also figures your gas mileage, about how many miles left on the the tank you have (I've used this more then once LOL), I love mine especially now that I don't have to carry that stupid bulky garage door opener.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:33 PM
Night_Runner
Champion

how do you program it to the garage

Old 01-23-2007, 10:51 PM
bkjtimp
Veteran

It's in your owners manual.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:50 PM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Press and hold the garage door opener, while holding the HomeLink button you want it to correspond with, I think. I can't entirely recall.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:25 AM
jimboscomp
All Star

you have to set your garage door motor to some mode (read owners manual of your garage door motor) where it can accept new remotes programmed to it, thenyou hold down the homelink button until something flashes, then something like pressing it again will program it to whatever signal is being emitted from your garage door opener. I would guess the wires are there for your overhead console; I know when I took my headliner off to install the lightbar on my truck, there is a + and - wire running to a plug that isn't plugged into anything, which is obviously a prewiring for something...just what, i have no idea. The sirius radio unit is located underneath your back driver side seat, if you lift it up you will see a black box with a few wires coming out of it, but since you didn't get sirius you shouldn't have it, except for the wires maybe.

You know what I think, that you dont need anything more than just power going to the overhead console to use homelink, the remote should just be built into the overhead console, and needs power. So you wouldn't have any temp/mpg stuff...just a thought..

Old 01-24-2007, 01:29 AM
texanrcp
Professional

As soon as some one know please post so I can start looking for the console, I have an 06 SLT but just have lights up there home link would be nice.....

Quick Reply: compass thing