3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Building my own intake, putting together a DIY.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 07:40 PM
Chris
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Building my own intake, maybe.

You can search for things like this because it has been covered many times before. You have the right idea. Simply block off the filter from the engine heat with a heat shield, and make sure that the inside of the tubing is smooth, without any obstructions.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:43 AM
snobrdrdan
Captain

Yup...it can be done easily & cheap

It just isn't pretty....lol

Old 02-01-2007, 02:24 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

honestly, lol this might sound silly to some people but i need "official" stuff. I need brand name K&N plastic intake that looks like it could of came with the truck. I couldnt have a custom made intake kit unless I wanted to feel like Ronald McDonald. Did you see some pics of the plastic series K&N kit installed? This looks high quality, because it really is. Thats what I'd want to deal with under MY hood. IMO. I mean if we are talking about a 91 accord with rust holes in it you could make and intake out of a paper towel core for all i care, but a new truck?

Old 02-01-2007, 06:48 PM
luvmydak
Veteran

ORIGINAL: ericemery

quick question that I cant find an answer to... what coupler are people using to connect to the T.B. and isn't there a sensor that I should be thinking about?
If you still insist on going the DYI route, check out the plumbing dep't. of Home Depot or Lowes. Both have these rubber couplers with the adjustable clamps on them. They come in all sizes and you should be able to find what you need. Measure your TB o.d. opening which would accommodate one end of the couplerand the o.d. of the thin wall tubing you intend to use. The IAT sensor is what you are thinking of-very inportant you install this in the tubing about 3-5" before the TB connection. With the tubing off the truckdrill a 3/4 hole in the tubing at that point and use the same grommet. Be sure the inside of the tubing is perfectly clean.The sensor is VERY delicate. Be careful removing and reinserting. All this work should be done with the NEG cable disconnected. Before reconnecting batt. cable make sure all connections are air tight and then reset PCM by turning ignition to run and holding for 15-20 sec. while the neg.cable is still disconnected THEN reconnect batt. cable. Don't forget the heat shield. Bottom line: if you have ANY doubts about doing this DYI, get the K&N system, a lot less of a headache.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:06 AM
snobrdrdan
Captain

ORIGINAL: MonkeyWrench4000

honestly, lol this might sound silly to some people but i need "official" stuff. I need brand name K&N plastic intake that looks like it could of came with the truck. I couldnt have a custom made intake kit unless I wanted to feel like Ronald McDonald. Did you see some pics of the plastic series K&N kit installed? This looks high quality, because it really is. Thats what I'd want to deal with under MY hood. IMO. I mean if we are talking about a 91 accord with rust holes in it you could make and intake out of a paper towel core for all i care, but a new truck?
I definitely agree thatthe K&N looks bad *** and theyspent the money and R&D in developing it.....it's good for like 9 rwhp

If a company spends all that money in making a product for our truck and no one buys it......that means there is no market for parts for our truck and no one is going to bother making stuff for it. Just something else to think about.....

You gotta pay to play

Old 02-02-2007, 11:58 AM
luvmydak
Veteran

Snobrdrdan has a point. Realistically anybody looking for real performance can't expect to throw bathroom plumbing materials into their engine bay, get it dyno'd and say wow, what a kick a** system. Get real! Spend the money or leave it stock.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:41 PM
snobrdrdan
Captain

Thank you!!!
luvmydak has the right point there

Save the Home Depot intake idea, and just save up the money for the K&N intake...I think it's like $220 SHIPPED on ebay, which might be a lot of money to some people I know. But just do it right one time instead of going thru the work/trouble of making one to realize it looks hideous and you wasted your time/money.

Quick Reply: Building my own intake, putting together a DIY.