3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Parking Brake?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 01:57 AM
conan3481
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Brake?

Maybe a dumb question, but can someone please explain why the 2006 Dakota with manual transmission has a parking brake that is a fourth foot pedal instead of a hand brake? I've never seen any car or truck with 4 pedals until this one.

Old 02-18-2007, 02:37 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Parking Brake?

I've never seen a truck with a hand brake

Old 02-18-2007, 03:00 AM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new Frontiers and Tacoma's have hand brakes.

And yes, all the truck's up til now I have ever seen have four pedals, and a lot of cars do as well.

Old 02-18-2007, 04:21 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: conan3481

Maybe a dumb question, but can someone please explain why the 2006 Dakota with manual transmission has a parking brake that is a fourth foot pedal instead of a hand brake? I've never seen any car or truck with 4 pedals until this one.
I know a lot of trucks have a foot-style parking brake. So, it would go without question that if its a manual transmission, you would have 4 pedals.
Why don't most trucks have a hand-style parking brake? I'll "answer" your question with a question: Why don't most trucks offer only 2WD, and those wheels being the front?
Because cars and trucks are differant animals, and thats just how their made. Not even all cars have the hand-style, either.
I will agree, however, I like the hand-operated parking brake, much easier to whip around corners with .

Old 02-18-2007, 06:43 AM
jimboscomp
All Star

yes they are easier to whip the tail end and drift, very fun...the one time i did it in my truck, i was on dirt and i had to just slam the parking brake down, didn't even do 180, just like 90-100...but oh well, I think it's like the design of the interior or something, I had thought about that a while back, like most cars have a low-profile interior where as a truck interior is way taller, just seems odd to put the hand brake in there? i dunno, i'm sick and it's late im not making sense...

Do they make 2wd FWD trucks?

Old 02-18-2007, 05:18 PM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some of the new Jeeps are FWD.

So, kinda?

Old 02-18-2007, 07:38 PM
rodslinger
Veteran
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: conan3481

You've never seen a lot of cars then. I remember my Dodge Shadow and Shelby CSX both having foot pedals for the emergency brake. It was fine with me. Left more space for the center console. My inlaws Taurus had a foot parking brake at it was a 2004 model.

I'm pretty sure you'll still find a lot of medium to full size cars that still have a foot parking brake to allow 3 across seating on the front. It's not just an american thing either. I believe the Toyota Avalon was available with a bench seat and had a foot brake to accomodate this up until it changed this year.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:53 PM
turbot_bird
Record Breaker

my old thunderbird turbocoupe had 4 pedals, and every truck I have seen had foot parking brakes

Old 02-19-2007, 03:11 AM
turbot_bird
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: ericemery

My old sonoma had a hand brake... I had to use it a few times when the front brakes went out... I cant remember the last time I saw "4 on the floor" though.
My old 96 sonoma work truck had 4 pedals on the floor, I remember it because the brakes went out from time to time too, then it was a juggaling act between downshifting and foot brake and relese lol

Quick Reply: Parking Brake?