3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Remove Front Body Mount Screws

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 11:50 PM
jimboscomp
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove Front Body Mount Screws

Hey guys, I just got my new grille guard today and I am trying to remove my front body screws because one of the hinges attatches to it. It is in the picture, on the frame right before the bumper mounting screws. When i go to take it off, it justs starts to spin, and I see something in the engine compartment on the other side spinning when i turn the screw, but it won't budge...Anyone have any tips?

[IMG]local://upfiles/24683/F3C38E0AF1234DC2BA4F49B60C9BD59F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-13-2007, 12:49 AM
swheels
Default RE: Remove Front Body Mount Screws

i had that same problem i had to use chain vise grip pliers to hold the rubber on the top to get to stop spinning

Old 03-13-2007, 01:02 AM
swheels

Not just a free spenning bolt its a rubber mount the is spinning in the core support that is spinning the glue holding it realeased

Old 03-13-2007, 04:36 AM
jimboscomp
All Star

It's so hard to get to where the rubber circle thingies are. I'm going to try swheels advice and try to just hold them in place while i turn the screw...i got a big ratchet that isn't stripped; I actually looked at the socket I was using and it wasn't stripped at all, just that darn thing on top keeps spinning instead of the screw coming out...

Old 03-13-2007, 05:03 AM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There may be a reason for this Jimbooooooooooooo!

Lol....

Old 05-26-2010, 06:11 PM
sulvester10

For anyone that is trying to install a brush guard that uses the two front body mounts. I ended up having to take out the fan guard on the v6 not shure if possible with v8 and using a pair of channel locks to hold the top body mount with another pair holding the first pair and while doing that someone with a breaker bar unscrewing the bolt. Ended up having to buy new upper body mounts and bolts for about 80 total. Also the upper body mount is shaped like a hex key and when you get the bolt backed out a little you can use a 1/2 hex key to hold the upper body mount.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:06 PM
biker_ahoy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've remove those a few times, I used one of those to hold the bushing on top in place, and a ratchet with a small pipe on the handle. its a bit of work, just make sure the bushing is dry so the strap wont slip on the bushing, and have a partner to wrench from underneath while you hold the bushing with this tool
(Strap Wrench) usally around $50 at your local industrial tools supplier. or try a place that rents tools. Good luck

Hope that helps,
http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Strap-Wrench/EN/index.htm

Heres the chain wrench that might also work, but the strap is thinner and Imoa fits in there easier than the chain.
http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Chain-Wrench/EN/index.htm

Last edited by biker_ahoy; 05-26-2010 at 09:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Remove Front Body Mount Screws