3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Front suspension noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 04:41 PM
mikey111k
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front suspension noise

Ive discovered a new noise in my suspension and wondering if anybody has any ideas of what it can be. If i turn the wheel hard to the left, but not necesarely all the way, and go over a bump big enough to compress the suspension some i hear a loud clunk coming from the front suspension. if the wheel is not turned that hard i dont have any noise. I was wondering if anybody else has this and it is just inherent in the design. thanks

Old 03-13-2007, 05:13 PM
sdsdsd
Captain
Default RE: Front suspension noise

Lube the stops in the steering

Old 03-14-2007, 01:02 AM
gatruck

Same thing here! Do you have a level kit installed? I've been blaming it on that.

sdsdsd

Can you elaborate on lubing the stops in the steering? How to? Etc?

Old 03-14-2007, 02:29 PM
Chad05
Professional

From what i dealt with on my truck it sound's like it could be your tie rod's or sway bar link, on my truck i had both go out on both sides and on the passenger front i had that sway bar link go out, mine never fell completly apart just made a lot of noise, when i turned the wheel it would make that clunking noise also i thought it was in the steering but it was both my tie rod's, so go in and get that checked and make sure they do an allignment also, hope they figure it out for all you guy's with that noise.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:41 PM
Spucknit

Same problem, Turn almost all the way to the left, and clunk! I've inspected the tie rods and sway bar, and can't find anything wrong with them. I thought it might be in the CV joint, but I'm no mechanic.

Old 03-14-2007, 11:51 PM
lvramfan07

I had the same problem when I turned the truck all the way to the left it made a loud clunk sound. I took it into the dealership and they replaced the cv boot on the left side and the clunk went away. First time I took it in for that problem they told me it was a normal sound. I took it too another dealership and they fixed it right. No more clunking noises. Now if I could find some shocks for the front end I would be great.

Old 03-17-2007, 12:30 AM
Spucknit

you mean to say that the boot itself is making the clunk sound, and nothing else?

Old 03-19-2007, 04:23 AM
lvramfan07

I just got done looking at my receipt from Dodge on the work that they performed. It says that they replaced cv boot on left side and the front axel assembly.All work covered under warranty. When I got the truck back no more clunk sound when turning the truck to the left. Hope this helps

Old 03-19-2007, 11:30 AM
mikey111k
Rookie

thanks for all the info. the only thing is that mine doesnt make any noise in just turning, i can turn back and forth all day without any noise. Its just when im turned probaly more then 2/3 to the left and the suspension compresses i get a noise.thanks

Old 03-19-2007, 03:41 PM
RonnusTwo
Professional

I get the same thing in my truck when the wheel is turned fully in either direction. just as somebody esle mentioned, lube up the stops in the steering control arms. I asked my mechanic to look at it for me a while back, and he greased up the stops for me, which quieted down the clank noise for a while. every time i get an oil change I ask him to grease up the stops, and that seems to fix the problem.

Quick Reply: Front suspension noise