3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

synthetic?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 11:13 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: synthetic?

OK fellas, this is where I have done my homework for a looooong time. I'll start off by saying my family has been using mobil 1 and doing 10,000 mile oil changes sucessfully for years. On a junk 1.9L Tracer, that now has 210,000 miles on it, fill it up with 4qts every 10,000 miles, and never check it, doesnt burn a drop. A 87 toyota 4x4, pretty sure it had 265k or so when we sold it, mobil 1 10k changes since the start.

Im doing 15,000 mile changes with Mobil 1 Extended Performance since the first few miles on my 06 dakota.

There is TONS of research and tests done by people like you and me who submit there oil samples to labs like Black Stone Labs. who test the oil for how its holding up. the website that posts all these crazy tests is called BITOG. You can google it and join them, they will tell you more then you ever wanted to know about oil. Most people on there are so crazy about oil and air filtration, that they are REALLY extreme about this stuff. Simply put, theres only two TRUE "POA" Synthetics, and thats mobil 1 and amsoil. There is a test on this oil and the oil was checked by black stone labs every 1k miles. I believe the mobil 1 lasted around 11,000 miles before change was needed, and amsoil around 9-10k miles before a change was needed. The change was needed because the test ran a max of 1 year. This is the max the oil companies want you to run the oil. Both oils were capable of longer intervals through analysis.

This is why my family does such long change intervals. Weve never had any abnormal engine wear either. On a related note, the most important thing to keep ur oil clean is a good air filter, they can teach you worlds about the do's and don'ts with that junk too. They also exposed the FRAM oil filter brand, exposing that they use short cut methods in making there filters, and instead of using industry standard metal filter caps on the inside of the oil filters to contain the filter element, fram uses cardboard endcaps with glue, which they have proven time and time again fail.

Whew....

Thinking to much about this crap makes my head spin. But Ive learned enough to have run 2 vehicles already at 10k changes with perfect results, and now im doing my brand new dakota with 15k changes, without thinking twice about it.

Good luck guys.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:18 AM
ETXDak
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: synthetic?

BITOG! Where have I heard that before? This guy has some interesting stuff on oil filters. http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters.html

Quick Reply: synthetic?