3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

synthetic?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 11:59 AM
curtiplas
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default synthetic?

Hey, so I need to get my first oil change and I was thinking about running synthetic from now on...and I was just wondering well what the pros and cons are of running sythetic vs. normal oil?

Oh yes also when people say they run fully sythetics or all sythetics...what are they talking ab out...I mean isn't oil the only sythetic fluid you can use in your truck/car....if not then...what other fluids can I replace with a sythetic version?

Old 03-20-2007, 12:36 PM
Casper50
Veteran
Default RE: synthetic?

The pros of synthetic oil is that you have reduced wear on the engine, longer oil life, supposedly aslight increase in gas mileage, and supposedly aslight increase in availablepower. You can also go longer on an oil change. Some people say you can go 12,000 miles on one oil change as long as you change the filter regularly. I say they are full of crap because synthetic oil starts to break down around 5,000 milesand that is the longest I would run on it. I change mine around 3,000 though just for peace of mind.

The cons to syntheticoil. Well, there is only one I can think of and that is $$$$$$$$$$.

When people say that they are running all synthetic theyare talking about the engine oil, tranny oil, transfer case oil (if you had one), and both differentials.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:20 PM
king beer

I personally would wait until it had around 10,000 miles before i would switch to synthetic. The motor isn't broken in good enough till that time. Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-20-2007, 05:03 PM
Flyhalf
Professional

ORIGINAL: Casper50

I say they are full of crap because synthetic oil starts to break down around 5,000 milesand that is the longest I would run on it. I change mine around 3,000 though just for peace of mind.
Actually, nobody knows at what mileage synthetic oil, or for that matter, any common engine oil begins to break down. Mileage is an arbitrary number. It does not include idle time, engine load, etc. Without an oil analysis, you'd never know. Most experts agree that the 3,000 mile interval was born out of greed by places like Jiffy Lube in order to scare people into coming in more frequently.

Most new vehicles have a manufacturer recommended interval of 5,000-7,500 miles.

Old 03-20-2007, 05:03 PM
mb18
Record Breaker

That's what I did. I changed it religiously for the 1st 10,000 miles, then switched over to synthetic. Mobil 1 for trucks.

Old 03-20-2007, 05:35 PM
Casper50
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Flyhalf

I say they are full of crap because synthetic oil starts to break down around 5,000 milesand that is the longest I would run on it. I change mine around 3,000 though just for peace of mind.
Actually, nobody knows at what mileage synthetic oil, or for that matter, any common engine oil begins to break down. Mileage is an arbitrary number. It does not include idle time, engine load, etc. Without an oil analysis, you'd never know. Most experts agree that the 3,000 mile interval was born out of greed by places like Jiffy Lube in order to scare people into coming in more frequently.

Most new vehicles have a manufacturer recommended interval of 5,000-7,500 miles.
Yes, but that interval is for good condition driving. If you do a lot of city driving where the engine is revving more often than on the highway your oil will break down a lot faster. Also, if you drive in constantoutside temperatures of above 90*F your oil will break down faster. I've gone 5,000 miles on an oil change before but that waswhen I drove all highway miles.

Plus, if I don't change my oil every 3,000 miles I run the risk of voiding my warranty through Mitsubishi. I don't want to run that risk because I have a 10 year / 100,000 mile warranty on my truck. If you don't keep records of every oil change at 3,000 miles then they will easily come back to you and say that certain parts aren't covered because you didn't maintain your vehicle. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Old 03-20-2007, 05:51 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Flyhalf

Yes, but that interval is for good condition driving. If you do a lot of city driving where the engine is revving more often than on the highway your oil will break down a lot faster. Also, if you drive in constantoutside temperatures of above 90*F your oil will break down faster. I've gone 5,000 miles on an oil change before but that waswhen I drove all highway miles.

Plus, if I don't change my oil every 3,000 miles I run the risk of voiding my warranty through Mitsubishi. I don't want to run that risk because I have a 10 year / 100,000 mile warranty on my truck. If you don't keep records of every oil change at 3,000 miles then they will easily come back to you and say that certain parts aren't covered because you didn't maintain your vehicle. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Changing every 3k because of warranty I understand, however the only way to know how long it takes oil to break down in your vehicle is to take a sample after 3,000 or 5,000 miles (or whatever mileage you usually change it at) and send it in for analysis. The results of the analysis will tell you whether you could have gone longer on that oil or not.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:00 PM
mb18
Record Breaker

I believe this link has been posted before, but, well, it still applies:

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/s.../oil-life.html

This is a link to the Synthetic Oil Life study website. They tested the longevity of synthetic oil on a Camaro, testing it every 1000 miles and, well, you can read about the results...

Quick Reply: synthetic?