3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

I want more torque

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 11:41 AM
gatruck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want more torque

I’ve been searching and reading all kinds of posts on here and am now more confused than ever. I want more torque (yes, it’s a 3.7 but I am stuck with it for a while) but am not sure where to spend my money? Only mod so far is a K&N CAI. I put a Magnaflow cat back system on once and the interior noise was unbearable, I also felt like it made the truck slower. I think it was a 3”… Anyway, I returned it and am back to stock. What about the Jet chips? Stage 1 seems tempting, I don’t want to have to purchase premium with gas prices on the rise and it looks like Stage 2 calls for that. Gear swap maybe? Throttle body?

Someone help me with some definitive answers please!

Old 03-21-2007, 12:22 PM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: I want more torque

The cheapest and quickest way to get more torque on a 3.7V6
especially in the important 1500-2500 rpm daily driving range
is to increase the ignition timing and use higher octane gasoline.

In the "real world" you can do this by going to a specialty sparkplug
like the irridium tipped ones from NGK, Denso or Bosch
and increase the gap from the factory stock 0.035 to 0.040
to a gap like 0.055 to 0.075.
This will increase burn time enough
to be equivalent to a 3-6 degree ignition timing advance by the PCM computer, but you will have to check your gaps more often because at
these wider settings it is like running sparkplugs with gaps worn larger
by 30,000-50,000 miles of driving.

While you are installing the new plugs, you can gain another 1-2 degrees of equivalent ignition advance by 'indexing' the plugs so that the open gap faces the hot exhaust valve direction.

For much more work, the second best way to improve both torque and MPG is to install a thinner head gasket, like the custom ones you can buy from Cometic. This increases compression ratio and speeds up burn time as well. When the heads are off have them 'cleaned up' by milling off 20 to 30 thousandths of an inch, then install the thinest gasket Cometic will sell you. For each point of compression ratio you gain you can expect 4% more full throttle torque and 6-12% better part throttle MPG.

For each equivalent 3 degrees of ignition timing you will need 1 more octane point in the gasoline you burn during the high temperatures of the year. In cold winter temperatures it won't matter as much.

Of course, for more money you can get a custom 'flash' of your PCM computer to increase ignition timing, and lean (not richen) your full throttle air to fuel ratio, and use 93 octane gas. BG Chrysler can do this. Changing the PCM settings is not as good as quickening burn time with sparkplugs and compression ratio.

more info by scrolling 3/4 the way down the FAQ to the engine mod section:

https://dodgeforum.com/m_447500/tm.htm

Old 03-21-2007, 06:30 PM
DakotaStone
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: HankL

The cheapest and quickest way to get more torque on a 3.7V6
especially in the important 1500-2500 rpm daily driving range
is to increase the ignition timing and use higher octane gasoline.

In the "real world" you can do this by going to a specialty sparkplug
like the irridium tipped ones from NGK, Denso or Bosch
and increase the gap from the factory stock 0.035 to 0.040
to a gap like 0.055 to 0.075.
This will increase burn time enough
to be equivalent to a 3-6 degree ignition timing advance by the PCM computer, but you will have to check your gaps more often because at
these wider settings it is like running sparkplugs with gaps worn larger
by 30,000-50,000 miles of driving.

While you are installing the new plugs, you can gain another 1-2 degrees of equivalent ignition advance by 'indexing' the plugs so that the open gap faces the hot exhaust valve direction.

For much more work, the second best way to improve both torque and MPG is to install a thinner head gasket, like the custom ones you can buy from Cometic. This increases compression ratio and speeds up burn time as well. When the heads are off have them 'cleaned up' by milling off 20 to 30 thousandths of an inch, then install the thinest gasket Cometic will sell you. For each point of compression ratio you gain you can expect 4% more full throttle torque and 6-12% better part throttle MPG.

For each equivalent 3 degrees of ignition timing you will need 1 more octane point in the gasoline you burn during the high temperatures of the year. In cold winter temperatures it won't matter as much.

Of course, for more money you can get a custom 'flash' of your PCM computer to increase ignition timing, and lean (not richen) your full throttle air to fuel ratio, and use 93 octane gas. BG Chrysler can do this. Changing the PCM settings is not as good as quickening burn time with sparkplugs and compression ratio.

more info by scrolling 3/4 the way down the FAQ to the engine mod section:

https://dodgeforum.com/m_447500/tm.htm

That's pretty useful. I didn't that all of that stuff.

If you want decent tq, you can next time have them put on a 2.5" pipe and not the 3". That engine isn't large enough for that big of a pipe. Diesles work best with 4" pipes for more power since they breath a hell of a lot more than our gas engines.

As far as the noise, leave one resonator in under the cab. I left mine and I'm glad I did. You can also add the Throttle body. If you go that way, go with what he suggests at thefastman.com. He makes a good product and I definately got more out of mine than I anticipated. I haven't ran a dyno yet since I added it.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:56 AM
texanrcp
Professional

*sniff sniff* do I smell a sponcership!!!

Old 03-22-2007, 01:26 PM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The ultimate way to get 50% more torque
and 25% better MPG at the same time too:

https://dodgeforum.com/m_746747/tm.htm

Old 03-22-2007, 11:47 PM
RP Racing940
Record Breaker