3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Problems with 2011 Durango (Crew Lux and Citadel)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 10:13 AM
c_l_phillips72
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Problems with 2011 Durango (Crew Lux and Citadel)

Hello all.

I am new here, but wanted to post some problems that I've encountered so far with 2 Durango models (Crew Lux and Citadel).

I drove a Crew Lux home for the weekend. I returned it on Monday because it was making some clunking sound. It sounded a little like the shocks were bad.

The same Monday, I bought a Citadel model that didn't have the clunking sound. Within 24 hours, I've encountered the following 3 problems with my Citadel:

1) The cup holder light is not on. This is standard on all models, but mine is not working.

2) When I turn left (this has happened twice in 24 hours), the entire media center (730N) turns off and reboots. This might be just a lose wire, but I have a feeling I'll be chasing this problem for the entire length of the warranty trying to get it fixed.

3) When the engine is off but stay in the car to listen to the radio, then turn off the radio and open the door, there will be a chime and a message that says something like an accessory is on, even when there's nothing on. The only way to get rid of the chime and message is to start the engine and then turn off the truck.

4) I have an iPhone 4, and when holding the phone while streaming music from the MP3 player via Bluetooth, the music is played in a fast-forward mode. Not sure if this is a problem with the piece of crap iPhone or the truck, but you can't hold the phone if you want your music to play correctly. The compatibility tests for uConnect show that the iPhone 4 rates as a 2 (1 is lowest). Not sure if there's any firmware update to uConnect to correct issues or not yet.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:17 PM
c_l_phillips72
Default Update to orginal post

Originally Posted by c_l_phillips72
Hello all.

I am new here, but wanted to post some problems that I've encountered so far with 2 Durango models (Crew Lux and Citadel).

I drove a Crew Lux home for the weekend. I returned it on Monday because it was making some clunking sound. It sounded a little like the shocks were bad.

The same Monday, I bought a Citadel model that didn't have the clunking sound. Within 24 hours, I've encountered the following 3 problems with my Citadel:

1) The cup holder light is not on. This is standard on all models, but mine is not working.

Update - The Dealership I bought this from has not received service information about the Durango from Chrysler. They are planning to order some new part and hope that it resolves the issue.

2) When I turn left (this has happened twice in 24 hours), the entire media center (730N) turns off and reboots. This might be just a lose wire, but I have a feeling I'll be chasing this problem for the entire length of the warranty trying to get it fixed.

Update - The Dealership was able to replicate the problem (phew!). They said that they found a lost antennae wire. Once they fixed that, they weren't able to replicate the issue any more. Hope that really resolves the problem.

3) When the engine is off but stay in the car to listen to the radio, then turn off the radio and open the door, there will be a chime and a message that says something like an accessory is on, even when there's nothing on. The only way to get rid of the chime and message is to start the engine and then turn off the truck.

Update - The Dealership was not able to replicate the problem, so I have to go back tomorrow.

4) I have an iPhone 4, and when holding the phone while streaming music from the MP3 player via Bluetooth, the music is played in a fast-forward mode. Not sure if this is a problem with the piece of crap iPhone or the truck, but you can't hold the phone if you want your music to play correctly. The compatibility tests for uConnect show that the iPhone 4 rates as a 2 (1 is lowest). Not sure if there's any firmware update to uConnect to correct issues or not yet.

No Update needed.

Hope this helps.

Keeps saying my message is too short, so adding text so it's not.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:13 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Uhhh, you just bought it. Keep taking it back in for them to review. If after three visits in a week you can't get it fixed, take it back. For $46k, I wouldn't be turning here first. Name:  icon_bangwall.gif
Views: 616
Size:  1.4 KB

Cup holder is likely a switch. Radio is already known to suck but is likely a loose connection and I would use a hardwire to connect the phone not bluetooth.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:34 PM
c_l_phillips72
Default More problems with Citadel

On the way home from the dealership after they supposedly fixed the problem with the media center turning off when turning, the media center turned off while turning. Imagine that.

Then, this morning I had 2 new problems:

1) The media center wouldn't turn on at all. The time of day that usually is displayed on the radio when it's off wasn't even displayed.

2) The blind spot warning lights on both outside mirrors stayed lit. This started while sitting in the driveway of my house with no other cars anywhere within a block.

While driving to the dealership, while cars were passing, a chime was heard to indicate that someone was entering my wife's blind spot. In the driver's information area, a message of "not connected" was displayed.

About halfway to the dealership, the media center automatically turned on and the blind spot monitoring lights automatically turned off.

Looks like I may have to get this returned under a lemon law or something. We're now driving a rental vehicle while the service department looks at it, at least through tomorrow.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:50 PM
IndyDurango
Champion

Clearly the electrical system is awry. Good luck. I agree that you should let them keep it and get another one. I wouldn't stand for it after the third visit. Make them quick, document the results and win.

Let's see a few photos of these display messages. That way we can better diagnose and eliminates any appearance of trolling for trouble.

IndyD

Old 03-18-2011, 10:15 AM
c_l_phillips72
Default Not trolling

My Durango is still in the shop today and they have not yet called to tell me what the problem is.

I am hoping that when I finally get my Durango back that I will not see anymore messages, so I'm hoping that I won't be able to prove that I'm not on this site "trolling for problems".

I have called Chrysler to report our problems and I have a case number. The assigned case worker is supposed to call me today. Not exactly sure what they are going to do, but I wanted to at least start the communication in case I need to get a replacement.

I've looked at the lemon laws in my state (Missouri) and they said that the dealership can charge a "reasonable use" fee for the old vehicle. I guess the more miles you drive, the higher the "reasonable use" charge is going to be. Our Durango has 272 miles on it now, and that includes 3 trips of 50 miles (both ways) to the service department. The vehicle had 43 miles on it when we purchased it.

So we've put more miles driving to the service department (150 miles) than we have for anything else (79 miles). We've had the vehicle for 4 days now. If we were able to return it today, they better not charge more than 4/30th of a monthly payment as the "reasonable use", but I'm sure they will.

I'm documenting everything too. Here and in a Word document. Hope that they can actually FIX the problem so I can love my Durango as much as I want to.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:40 PM
c_l_phillips72
Default IOD fuse

Ok, the dealership just called me back and told me that they have fixed the problem.

They said that the IOD fuse was loose (probably kind of like the antennae wire was loose, and we know how that worked out). Anyway, they said that they tightened the IOD fuse connection, test drove the vehicle, and weren't able to see any of our problems.

I'm picking up the Durango after work today and I'll see how it does this weekend. Hopefully the issue has been resolved.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:41 PM
IndyDurango
Champion

Keep us posted. Also, have them show you where that connection is so that you can keep an eye on it. Should not be such that is just comes loose unless it wasn't firmly connected and latched in the first place.

Since your Citadel is obviously an early build based on the 430 you have... your build team were more than likely to include some of the ones caught smoking dope at lunch and summarily fired. Thus it is not surprising that a plug was missed here or there on the early builds with that kind of horseplay going on with the assembly line workers. Something was bound to be missed along the way with those morons. Let's hope that was the most of it for everyone's sake.

IndyD

Last edited by IndyDurango; 03-18-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:42 PM
c_l_phillips72

Well, it looks like my problems have been resolved! I guess tightening the IOD fuse did the trick!

Now just waiting for the part to come in that will fix the cup holder light.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:32 AM
cbrrider012
Professional

Originally Posted by c_l_phillips72
Well, it looks like my problems have been resolved! I guess tightening the IOD fuse did the trick!

Now just waiting for the part to come in that will fix the cup holder light.

My mediacenter is doing the same thing. Do you or anyone else know where this IOD fuse is so I can tighten it?

Quick Reply: Problems with 2011 Durango (Crew Lux and Citadel)