3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Clicking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 09:08 AM
bster
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking Noise

I have 1000 miles on my 5.7 Citadel now and have noticed a loud clicking noise from underneath when I take off from a stop and also when I am coming to a stop. Just before the vehicle comes to a complete stop, there is a loud click from underneath. Is it possible that there is a bad u-joint? Anyone else have this?
Hate taking vehicles in for weird noises. Always seem to get " Unable to re-create customer situation". Just curious as it is very annoying as now that is all I listen for while driving.
Thanks

Old 06-16-2011, 03:15 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most commonly reported problem. Use the search features. Even easier when 4 out of 14 posts in the Gen3 section relate to the same thing.

With that said, I think it is faulty although Chrysler doesn't have a fix yet. IMHO, go on the record with your dealer now that it is broken. Repeat process often... often enough they get tired of seeing and hearing from you. That way when the fix is available, you have an ongoing track record of concerns related to the issue.

I would not live with it.

Interestingly, this doesn't appear to be a huge issue with the Jeep JGC folks. Probably with the added length of the D verses the JGC, they didn't re-engineer anything in the drivetrain and instead just extended it. Thusly, they are at the maximums of the engineering specifications related to the drive shaft, linkage, etc. Not good, not correct, but the facts nevertheless.

FWIW, this is one key reason I don't buy the first year of any auto release. The bugs haven't been worked out yet in all areas. Year 3 is usually the best because it comes just before the next refresh thus utilizing the experience of all that have come before them. Repeat for each Gen. Thus, the 2000 and the 2003 are the best Gen1s (arguably documented as correct) and the 2006 and 2009 Gen2s... the '06 being the last of the original Gen2 front design and the '09 being the last of the Gen2s entirely (again arguably documented as correct.)

The Gen3 2013 model should be a gold standard.

IndyD

Last edited by IndyDurango; 06-16-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:17 PM
sidewinder9m
Veteran

Originally Posted by bster
I have 1000 miles on my 5.7 Citadel now and have noticed a loud clicking noise from underneath when I take off from a stop and also when I am coming to a stop. Just before the vehicle comes to a complete stop, there is a loud click from underneath. Is it possible that there is a bad u-joint? Anyone else have this?
Hate taking vehicles in for weird noises. Always seem to get " Unable to re-create customer situation". Just curious as it is very annoying as now that is all I listen for while driving.
Thanks
Also got the 5.7 hemi and so far got 1190 miles on the clock but no clicking noise issues. Its been a quiet solid running vehicle for me really impressed how the D rides. Hope you get fix or diagnose whatever the problem is.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:30 PM
cbrrider012
Professional

I have the V6 Heat with 2600 miles and I have a clicking/shifting coming from my drivers seat when taking off and stopping... I think it is in the seat adjustments because when I move the seat it stops for a while then comes back. Taking it to the dealer this monday to check it out.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:03 AM
coldsteel
Captain

Over 4000 miles on my Citadel and no noises out of the ordinary.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:43 AM
bloc0102

I have 3,900 miles on my Crew AWD, and I although I don't hear a 'click,' I feel something in the steering wheel when taking off and stopping, as well as going around corners while on the brake. Haven't mentioned it to my dealer yet.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:54 PM
bster
Rookie
Thumbs down Clicking may never disappear!

Took my Durango to dealer about "clicking noise". It was the first one that they had in for service. Very surprised at the noise, investigated through Dodge and was told that all Durango's may experience a "similar situation". Apparently it has to do with a solenoid underneath, not sure wich one,and the engineers at Dodge are working on a solution.They had a look at another new one on their lot and were very surprised that it was making the same clicking noise, right out of the box,so to speak. Very good chance that this is the way it may always be. They more than likely will correct it on the 2012 model. It isnt a malfunction at this time, but a " vehicle characteristic". It isnt real loud , but annoying and something that shouldnt be happening on a new vehicle.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:48 PM
JRRF
Captain

The strange clicking noise I hear only happens when the Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) begins to hit the brakes. I don't hear it when I hit the brakes, only when the ACC does it to slow the car. It's not that annoying, but it doesn't sound right. The sound I hear is much like a solenoid and comes from under the dash on the drivers side.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:10 PM
gabarit

Just got a 5.7 Durango Crew 2012 and i am experiencing the clicking noise at low speeds. It's annoying when the windows are down and the noise causes me to worry that something is not right.

Has anybody figured out what this noise is?

thx

G.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:24 PM
Cruiser478
Rookie

I have the same issue on my 2012 Crew HEMI AWD. I only hear it when windows are down. It doesn't really bother me!

Quick Reply: Clicking Noise