3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

New R/T... Unfortunate problem already

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Queens R/T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by WindyCityPC
It's possible that your dealer doesn't, in fact, know how to correctly balance tires. I've been experiencing the same problem on my R/T AWD -- slight shimmy at 60-70mph of the steering wheel -- which is why I've had interest in your post. I had my dealer do a RoadForce balance on it today and, with a 20-minute interstate drive home, it appears to have been corrected.

I don't have the exact details -- the 'force' portion of the balance apparently showed them being 'good' but the 'static' portion of the balance showed them needing adjustment.

Interestingly, one of the sales guys there today related to me that a customer with a Charger was having the "same issue" with his tires -- the dealer he had bought the car at re-balanced them with no success and he was trying out a swapped set of wheels. This was an '11 with 1600 miles, so I think it's a recent build ( but I don't know the specifics ).

Also interesting....I had purchased a new 2004 Acura TL when they came out and there was a tire recall shortly after I had it. Acura dealer put new tires on it and sent me home with an obviously not-in-balance setup. I went back, complained, and had them re-do the balance, but it was just as bad the 2nd time around. I finally ponied up and took my TL to the Maserati/Ferrari shop and had them do a RoadForce balance. Cost me $125 back then, but it cured my balance issue and the thing was rock solid afterwards.

Hope they get you all straitened out -- at least you know it's not something fundamental about the Durango's suspension/etc.
Good to hear that your R/T's shimmy seems to have been corrected Interesting enough, my friend who's a mechanic called me today and told me one of his clients just recently bought a Durango Crew with the 18 inch wheels and he has brought it back to the dealer for a steering wheel shimmy as well... The service manager also told me today that another Durango owner came in today complaining about the steering wheel shake. So it appears that this may become a more widespread issue for some Dodge owners. Hopefully they get to the root cause of the issue to prevent any further problems for future Dodge owners. I wouldn't want anyone else to have to deal with what my wife and I have been dealing with for the past month. It has been very stressful for us to say the least You don't expect to have issues like this when you purchase a new car!

Old 07-22-2011, 12:44 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its probably going to end up being those shiatty Kumho tires in the end.

IndyD

Old 08-19-2011, 11:37 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

All,

This TSB just came out. Perhaps this will resolve the issue. If it does, please let me know.

NUMBER: 19-004-11
GROUP: Steering
DATE: August 19, 2011

SUBJECT:
Shudder And/Or Bump Felt Through The Steering Wheel Under Moderate Braking And/Or
Driving Over Rough Roads
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves road testing and if necessary replacing the intermediate shaft.
MODELS:
2011-2012 (WD) Durango
2011-2012 (WK) Grand Cherokee
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built before July 01, 2011 (MDH0701XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Shudder and/or bump felt through the steering wheel under moderate braking or driving
over rough roads. This can be caused by spline stick/slip from the intermediate shaft.
DIAGNOSIS:
If the customer describes the symptom, perform the Repair Procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
1 (AR) 05057539AD Shaft, Steering Column Intermediate
NOTE: The new lower intermediate shaft must have a green dot on the assembly,
near or on the label (Fig. 1). If a green dot cannot be found return and reorder
the intermediate shaft.

Last edited by DodgeCares; 08-19-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:58 AM
jrockwell
Rookie

For what it's worth, when we test drove the new Durango for the first time, there was a massive shake in the wheel.

We went do a different dealer the next day and drove a different one. No shake, very smooth ride.

There was something odd about that first dealer (in Florence, SC). They offered $6,500 off sticker without me even asking for a deal.

I was nervous about the Durango because of the first test drive, but the two others we drove were fine.

Note: The one with the shakes was a V8 Citadel AWD.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Queens R/T

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
All,

This TSB just came out. Perhaps this this will resolve the issue. If it does, please let me know.

NUMBER: 19-004-11
GROUP: Steering
DATE: August 19, 2011

SUBJECT:
Shudder And/Or Bump Felt Through The Steering Wheel Under Moderate Braking And/Or
Driving Over Rough Roads
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves road testing and if necessary replacing the intermediate shaft.
MODELS:
2011-2012 (WD) Durango
2011-2012 (WK) Grand Cherokee
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built before July 01, 2011 (MDH0701XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Shudder and/or bump felt through the steering wheel under moderate braking or driving
over rough roads. This can be caused by spline stick/slip from the intermediate shaft.
DIAGNOSIS:
If the customer describes the symptom, perform the Repair Procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
1 (AR) 05057539AD Shaft, Steering Column Intermediate
NOTE: The new lower intermediate shaft must have a green dot on the assembly,
near or on the label (Fig. 1). If a green dot cannot be found return and reorder
the intermediate shaft.

Thanks for the information! This may be the fix I have been looking for these past 2 months. I will have the dealer perform this TSB and see it it fixes it. I will let you know.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:40 PM
Leman
Rookie

Originally Posted by Queens R/T
The R/T that I purchased actually came from another dealer 50 miles away from where I purchased it (my dealer located the Black R/T for me and got the vehicle over to them by a salesman driving it to the dealer)... The test drive I took with the V6 citadel was on a different highway from the R/T's. They are actually doing a wheel alignment on my R/T right now to rule this out as well. I know there is some negative camber dialed into the Durangos, more so on the R/T to help improve cornering. Let's see if this corrects the shake.
strange the guy did not notice anything or mention it at delivery. Even stranger that the car was sold without a proper inspection and sign off.

If it is a mechanical fault, I find it difficult to believe they have not found it. The connections involved are not that complicated.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:57 PM
baum
Professional

Funny i saw this.. I just purchased a new 2011 heat a week ago. during my test drive on a freeway i mentioned something about this. who knows if they actually did anything i cant notice it all times.

Nice to know there is a TSB on it so if it continues

Old 08-22-2011, 09:09 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

+2 Rob on those Kumho tires, they dont sound very good. IF I got a GEN3 I wouldnt expect a lot out of them, and although I would not replace them on a whim, but I would plan on getting them replaced fairly quickly. Michelins anyone?

Old 08-22-2011, 09:15 PM
Queens R/T

Originally Posted by MAGIC84
+2 Rob on those Kumho tires, they dont sound very good. IF I got a GEN3 I wouldnt expect a lot out of them, and although I would not replace them on a whim, but I would plan on getting them replaced fairly quickly. Michelins anyone?

It's not the Kumho tires... I changed them over to Yokohama Parada X's thinking that would fix the steering wheel shake/vibration and it didn't.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:30 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's good info Queens R/T. Did you see any ride difference on the Yokohama's?

Quick Reply: New R/T... Unfortunate problem already