3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

RT vs Citadel

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 02:22 PM
jaymacdf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RT vs Citadel

Hey everybody!

Glad I found the forum here. I am an owner of a 2000 DD SLT looking to get into the third gen with either the RT or the Citadel. I am a bit conflicted on which to purchase and was hoping that if I provided some insight to my situation some of you could give me some feedback that may help in my decision making?

Here goes:

1. I will be driving the vehicle about 50 miles per day, all on the highway (which is why I originally was leaning more towards the RT)

2. I will occassionally like to drive my new Durango with the family on the beach (would there be a clearence issue since the RT is a little lower than the Citadel?)

3. I will get the HEMI AWD version of whichever model I select.

4. I started to think that spending a little more to get the fully loaded Citadel would make more sense than getting the RT (I figure same engine and I can probably live without the leveling sport tuned suspension and lowered ride height...but damn I like the monochrome look)

So, that being said, any personal narrative or feedback you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jason

Old 08-04-2011, 02:52 PM
ccthomp
Professional

My GF has the R/T and loves it. However I would recommend you test drive both to see which you prefer. I did this with the Charger and liked both blocks settled on the V6 and things changed so now I am going with the V8 instead. Ultimately it's you have to decide which one better suits your needs/desires.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:17 PM
Queens R/T

Originally Posted by jaymacdf
Hey everybody!

Glad I found the forum here. I am an owner of a 2000 DD SLT looking to get into the third gen with either the RT or the Citadel. I am a bit conflicted on which to purchase and was hoping that if I provided some insight to my situation some of you could give me some feedback that may help in my decision making?

Here goes:

1. I will be driving the vehicle about 50 miles per day, all on the highway (which is why I originally was leaning more towards the RT)

2. I will occassionally like to drive my new Durango with the family on the beach (would there be a clearence issue since the RT is a little lower than the Citadel?)

3. I will get the HEMI AWD version of whichever model I select.

4. I started to think that spending a little more to get the fully loaded Citadel would make more sense than getting the RT (I figure same engine and I can probably live without the leveling sport tuned suspension and lowered ride height...but damn I like the monochrome look)

So, that being said, any personal narrative or feedback you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jason

I would say the R/T if you are going to be doing a lot of highway driving as it hugs the road really well. I test drove both the V8 Citadel and R/T and in my opinion the R/T does steer, handle, and brake better as compared to the Citadel. The R/T does ride rougher over the bumps though as the Citadel smothers out the bumps better.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:22 PM
jaymacdf

so, can the RT handle the beach?

Old 08-04-2011, 10:08 PM
JRRF
Captain

Based on what you've said, the only real difference will be looks (and sometimes that means a lot to someone). If you like the R/T, then that's what you have to get. Otherwise the Citadel/CrewLux is a better bet. The R/T is definitely lower, and so sure you'll be able to go on the beach, but you'll have less clearance should anything go haywire.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The R/T hands down
even my dealer said to me people are nuts to pay more money for the Citadel when the R/T is a nicer version.

My dealer had a friend order a Loaded Citadel that was 7k more than our R/T
they both came in same day and the guy was pissed he didnt get an R/T not only for the money savings but the looks alone

Old 08-06-2011, 02:53 PM
jaymacdf

Originally Posted by Double D Mods
The R/T hands down
even my dealer said to me people are nuts to pay more money for the Citadel when the R/T is a nicer version.

My dealer had a friend order a Loaded Citadel that was 7k more than our R/T
they both came in same day and the guy was pissed he didnt get an R/T not only for the money savings but the looks alone

that's great to know! thanks! would the clearence on the RT be alright for use on the beach in your opinion? I know its only 20mm or so lower than the Citadel.

Thanks again!

Old 08-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jaymacdf
that's great to know! thanks! would the clearence on the RT be alright for use on the beach in your opinion? I know its only 20mm or so lower than the Citadel.

Thanks again!
you should be fine on the beach

Old 08-07-2011, 02:22 AM
mr.speedy R/T

I do not think you will have any problem will clearence as 20mm is only 3/4 of a inch. I have yet to have any problems with my R/T in the clearence. As for the handling it is just crazy the way it turns and holds the road. good luck will your purchase.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:49 AM
jaymacdf

Originally Posted by mr.speedy R/T
I do not think you will have any problem will clearence as 20mm is only 3/4 of a inch. I have yet to have any problems with my R/T in the clearence. As for the handling it is just crazy the way it turns and holds the road. good luck will your purchase.
sweet, thanks! now I just have to decide on color (availability will have a lot to do with that I guess).

Quick Reply: RT vs Citadel