3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2011 Citadel AWD - Loud Noise in Back Over Bumps?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 08:42 PM
Murfdog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Citadel AWD - Loud Noise in Back Over Bumps?

Brand new Dodge guy here, have always been GM but the new Durango Citadel got me switched over (at least temporarily lol). Anyways, vehicle has 1200 miles and last few weeks noticed loud ride and banging noise coming from the back end, particularly passenger side when hitting any kind of bumps at all. Bigger bumps cause loud bang especially when turning on curve to the right. Took it to dealer and he said no problems. Everything's fine. Has anybody run into this?

Also, the interior head cover inside the roof on the driver side is loose and rattles. Dealer said tough luck on that one and that it's plastic velcro. It's $2000 to replace and it probably wouldn't fix it.

Any ideas? I'm not a complainer but when you spend 46k for a vehicle you tend to have high expectations. I think I'm just dealing with a bum dealer.

Thanks

Old 09-12-2011, 11:34 PM
kingofwylietx
Professional

It's hard to tell, but it sounds like you have a bum dealer. Heck, I'm not a mechanic, but I can pretty much make any rattle or bump disappear for less than $2k (my point is that it doesn't sound like they want to help).

The banging could be your spare tire, make sure it's tight. If that's not loose, check your jack, make sure it's secure.

Finally, change dealerships. Maybe their sales department was pretty good, but it doesn't sound like the service department is doing too well. Oh....before you definitely decide to drop the dealer. Get in touch with their service manager and general manager. Tell them your story about buying a new vehicle there and that the service guy (tell them his name) says you are out of luck. Sometimes you need to climb higher on the ladder to find your resolution. You may still have a good service department with a bad service writer.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:23 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tough luck on the headliner my ***. Force his hand via the service department and a call to Dodge Customer Service.

Then post the dealers info up on here so everyone knows where to avoid spending any of their money. Dealers like that need to be driven out of business or at a minimum the staff with those attitudes needs to join Obama's unemployed millions.

On the rear, specifically as you mentioned, some provided shocks are failing/have failed. Have them look at that. I recall someone replacing them TWICE to get it right. Dodge doesn't kow it, but they have a vendor issue yet to be worked out.

IndyDurango

Old 09-13-2011, 10:53 AM
NY-Durango
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Crew Lux version and had a rattle in the headliner on the passenger side just behind the front passenger seat. My rattle was so bad all I had to do was tap ceiling on that side and it would rattle. The dealer took a look and fixed the problem. I am not sure but it may have been the vent in the ceiling. If your dealer isn't willing to check it out I would find a new dealer for service and any future purchases.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:55 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Murfdog
Brand new Dodge guy here, have always been GM but the new Durango Citadel got me switched over (at least temporarily lol). Anyways, vehicle has 1200 miles and last few weeks noticed loud ride and banging noise coming from the back end, particularly passenger side when hitting any kind of bumps at all. Bigger bumps cause loud bang especially when turning on curve to the right. Took it to dealer and he said no problems. Everything's fine. Has anybody run into this?

Also, the interior head cover inside the roof on the driver side is loose and rattles. Dealer said tough luck on that one and that it's plastic velcro. It's $2000 to replace and it probably wouldn't fix it.

Any ideas? I'm not a complainer but when you spend 46k for a vehicle you tend to have high expectations. I think I'm just dealing with a bum dealer.

Thanks
Murf,

Are you sure the sound is coming from the back? I will list two TSB's below that may be the cause. These are the only 2 listed for your vehicle that I could find on the issue. One is related to steering shaft but is not in rear end. As far as the dealer goes, there is no reason they do not fix your headliner problem no matter how much it costs. If the Service Manager or General Manager cannot get that handled for you then you need to call our customer service line and we will get it handled for you either by them or another dealer. No excuse for that.

NUMBER: 17-002-11
GROUP: Rear Suspension
DATE: September 02, 2011

SUBJECT:
Squeak And/Or Creak Noise Coming From Rear Of Vehicle
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves road testing the vehicle over rough roads and if necessary adding
grease and RTV to both rear jounce bumpers.
MODELS:
2011 (WK) Grand Cherokee
2011 (WD) Durango
NOTE: This bulletin applies to all vehicles except those equipped with load leveling
shocks (Sales Code SES) built before March 17, 2011(MDH0317XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Squeak and/or creak sound coming from rear of vehicle when driving over rough roads.
DIAGNOSIS:
If the customer describes the symptom, perform the Repair Procedure.

NUMBER: 19-004-11
GROUP: Steering
DATE: August 20, 2011

SUBJECT:
Clunk And/Or Bump Felt Through The Steering Wheel Under Moderate Braking And/Or
Driving Over Rough Roads
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves road testing and if necessary replacing the intermediate shaft.
MODELS:
2011-2012 (WD) Durango
2011-2012 (WK) Grand Cherokee
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built before July 01, 2011 (MDH0701XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Clunk and/or bump felt through the steering wheel under moderate braking or driving over
rough roads. This can be caused by spline stick/slip from the intermediate shaft.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:49 PM
JRRF
Captain

Bumps are always tough to find. Make sure as someone said that your spare and jack are tight (or even take them out and test it). Also make sure nothing is rattling around in your cargo area, including under the rear hatch behind the 3rd row.

My kids have so much stuff rattling around in the back of my car I'd never notice if something was wrong :-)

Good luck.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:45 PM
JCO1981

I have the same exact issues with my 2011 R/T and I have fought with dealer and Dodge over and over with no resolution. I have owned 10 cars in my life I am 29 and this is the biggest piece of crap I have ever bought. I tried returning the car and dealer told me they would swap for 2012 when it comes in what a lie that was. I am now filing a law suit against the dealer and Dodge for selling me such a piece of **** with no solutions to any of my problems. The part that pisses me off is I still have to drive and pay for it. I wish I could have my Range Rover back. Let me know if you get anywere with the issues.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:21 PM
PowerDDanger
Professional

Originally Posted by JCO1981
I have the same exact issues with my 2011 R/T and I have fought with dealer and Dodge over and over with no resolution. I have owned 10 cars in my life I am 29 and this is the biggest piece of crap I have ever bought. I tried returning the car and dealer told me they would swap for 2012 when it comes in what a lie that was. I am now filing a law suit against the dealer and Dodge for selling me such a piece of **** with no solutions to any of my problems. The part that pisses me off is I still have to drive and pay for it. I wish I could have my Range Rover back. Let me know if you get anywere with the issues.

Good luck with that lawsuit and all, sure you'll come out of it all with well....less money and probably just more anger, but on the other hand if you can afford 10 cars and range rover at the age of 29 I'm sure money shouldn't be a problem for you?

Old 09-13-2011, 08:30 PM
JRRF
Captain

Originally Posted by JCO1981
You're filing a lawsuit because you are 29 and, even if you've owned 100 cars, obviously haven't a clue what you are doing.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:41 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
Murf,

Are you sure the sound is coming from the back? I will list two TSB's below that may be the cause. These are the only 2 listed for your vehicle that I could find on the issue. One is related to steering shaft but is not in rear end. As far as the dealer goes, there is no reason they do not fix your headliner problem no matter how much it costs. If the Service Manager or General Manager cannot get that handled for you then you need to call our customer service line and we will get it handled for you either by them or another dealer. No excuse for that.

NUMBER: 17-002-11
GROUP: Rear Suspension
DATE: September 02, 2011

SUBJECT:
Squeak And/Or Creak Noise Coming From Rear Of Vehicle

I bet it started as a creak then progressed to the banging. Anyway, to let a new car customer walk out the door without at least doing the TSB and/or driving the car with them is a shame. I think we can all agree on that. We have not seen the headliner rattle yet but i'll keep my eyes open. I would think a "foam strip" TSB may be forthcoming

Last edited by TNtech; 09-13-2011 at 11:43 PM.

Quick Reply: 2011 Citadel AWD - Loud Noise in Back Over Bumps?