3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Oil Level via Dipstick (5.7 Hemi)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 08:57 PM
Hemibuck
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did the first oil change and same thing...put in 7.1 quarts and it was just barely in the safe zone...hmmmm interesting.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:51 AM
FrankADavisJr
Professional

Can we get an official verdict from Dodge on this one? I see them on the threads from time-to-time. I have the same issue. 7 quarts and it's at the "add" line on the dipstick.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:52 AM
Hemibuck
Veteran

Official verdict from Dodge...that's funny! Hell the techs are doing the same thing we are just adding in some more oil or scratching their heads. My experience is that we know more than they do about our rides. Sad but true. Hopefully there is a service manager on the forums that chime in.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:37 PM
sinn
Amateur

I put an extra 1/2 quart in and that brought it close enough for me...

Old 04-18-2013, 10:02 PM
Fullslp
Captain

In a couple weeks I will do my first oil change. I will measure how much oil I pull out ( with filter). Then we will see how much oil was installed new. Mine shows Full right now so I'll post up results.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:07 AM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Originally Posted by sinn
I put an extra 1/2 quart in and that brought it close enough for me...
I spoke to the mechanic that services all the company vehicles I own and he said that he was under the Impression that it was 7 qts + 1/2 -3/4 of a qt for filter with the oil cooler.
STEVE

Old 04-19-2013, 12:54 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Sounds reasonable, however the manufacturer should note that in the owners manual. My SS camaro came with an oil cooler as an option however it is a coolant based unit that brings coolant to the larger oil filter housing rather then sending oil to a cooler in front of the radiator. So no extra oil required. Interesting difference.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:06 PM
SUNBURNTsnype
Professional

I Was confused by this as well. I've just been doing about 7 1/2 qts as the first time I did it myself and noticed it wasnt at the full line after 7 I just figured it needed an even 8 qts. However, afterwards, I realized my stupidity when I checked the dipstick and it was too full, and ended up draining a 1/2 qt back out so it wasn't overfilled. So I've just been doing 7 1/2 from now on.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:12 PM
SUNBURNTsnype
Professional

Originally Posted by comprules83
So, I have the Citadel 5.7 Hemi AWD and I am on my 2nd oil change. For the first oil change I used Mobil1 5W20 with the K&N 2010 oil filter. My second oil change i used same oil (Mobil1) 5W20 with the Mobil1 M1-210 filter. All oil changes have been performed by Dodge dealer. Each time there are (7) quarts added as per manual added.

My question/concern is that whenever I check my oil level via the dipstick (usually check in the morning after car has been sitting all night) on level ground of course, it looks like the oil just makes it up to the add line. I thought it was just me, but now after the second oil change it's the same situation. The oil pressure is fine (about 27-30 at idle and 47-50 during drive), however, how does one know when oil needs to be added? At one point, I thought it was the anti-drain back valve not draining the oil back into the reservoir, but am not even sure if that plays the part here.

Curious of your thoughts?
Your Dodge dealer used Mobil 1? I thought only Penzoil met the "Meets or exceeds Chrysler Material Standards MS-6395" standard that owners manual states. Has Mobil finally been approved by Chrysler to meet this standard? I know Mobil 1 is top shelf stuff and used to use it in my CTS, but it was my understanding that Penzoil was the only Chrysler approved synthetic for the dealers. Can anyone else chime in on this?

Old 04-19-2013, 02:01 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

If that is true I guess I will have to switch to Penzoil Ultra instead of the ROYAL PURPLE
I dont think it matters as long as its the right weight
STEVE

Quick Reply: Oil Level via Dipstick (5.7 Hemi)