3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2012 Prospective Buyer Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 07:17 AM
OrlandoDurango
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think she/he was trolling this thread for some reason.

My hope is that when the battery fails in a couple years, it still has enough juice to move the power passenger seat forward.

Originally Posted by bbtkd
5-7 years on a factory battery? My, aren't you the optimist! I have had so many factory batteries fail in 2-3 years that I automatically replace them at 3, if they don't die first.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:19 AM
OrlandoDurango
Amateur

Interesting. Thank you for the insightful information, I'll try it out once the tropical storm moves on

Originally Posted by RCobb1
I know this thread is a little dated, but wife got her Citadel today. I was talking to a buddy who works at the dealership (he's a fellow diesel performance addict and stealership mechanic) about the sluggishness off the line. He says the traction control system is purposefully designed to retard engine performance to reduce the possibility of wheel slippage; you can't light up the rear tires if you wanted to. However, (and I haven't tried it... yet...) if you turn off the traction control, you supposedly get a noticeably "improved" off-the line feel, which I intend to test tomorrow

Old 06-25-2012, 08:30 AM
RCobb1
Thumbs up

Verdict is in on the traction control. It works, at least on wife's Hemi RWD. I was able to distinctly notice more power on takeoff and was able to break loose the rears fairly easily. I'm now eager to take it to the strip on a test and tune night and see what it can do; I dont expect 13's in the 1/4, but still just curious.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:55 PM
JRRF
Captain

Originally Posted by RCobb1
Verdict is in on the traction control. It works, at least on wife's Hemi RWD. I was able to distinctly notice more power on takeoff and was able to break loose the rears fairly easily. I'm now eager to take it to the strip on a test and tune night and see what it can do; I dont expect 13's in the 1/4, but still just curious.
I'm amazed that you were able to break the tires loose at all. I think that would be nearly impossible on an AWD model, even with traction turned off.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:59 PM
JRRF
Captain

Originally Posted by midget-farms
Interesting. I have the v6 & awd. Honestly the wife doesnt drag race with it so 0 to 60 isnt a deal breaker for us, but getting almost 30 mpg on the highway is. Ill try that trick today too. Might help when I pull the trailer
When pulling a trailer I would definitely not turn off the traction control. You want to maintain as much stability as possible. You should put the car in tow/haul mode to keep all cylinders banging, and then if you really need extra traction at low speed, put it in low range and lock the diff.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:47 PM
bbtkd
Veteran

Originally Posted by JRRF
I'm amazed that you were able to break the tires loose at all. I think that would be nearly impossible on an AWD model, even with traction turned off.
He said it was RWD. Yes, more difficult with AWD.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:31 AM
midget-farms
Professional

Originally Posted by JRRF
When pulling a trailer I would definitely not turn off the traction control. You want to maintain as much stability as possible. You should put the car in tow/haul mode to keep all cylinders banging, and then if you really need extra traction at low speed, put it in low range and lock the diff.
My Durango has awd. There is no switch for low range. I've been towing trailers for well over 30 years. Tra tion control will help if I'm out of control. But a good driver is competant enough to not wreck his truck. how did you survive the 70's 80's & 90's without it? Easy. Hou drove carefully.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:15 AM
JRRF
Captain

My Durango has awd. There is no switch for low range. I've been towing trailers for well over 30 years. Tra tion control will help if I'm out of control. But a good driver is competant enough to not wreck his truck. how did you survive the 70's 80's & 90's without it? Easy. Hou drove carefully.
Not sure why you don't have a low-range switch. I thought it was standard with AWD.

I was towing trailers in the 70s too. In the 70s when you had an accident it was a lot worse. I was in a broadsided accident about 5 years ago, and rather than being spun out of control, the car "magically" kept going right where I pointed it. It had nothing to do with my skill, and everything to do with stability control. I've also been able to avoid accidents because of ABS. In the 70s I would have just hit the guy because I couldn't have steered away in time while braking no matter how skilled I was.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:57 AM
OrlandoDurango
Amateur

The switch should be on your center console like this:

http://media.caranddriver.com/images...s-1280x782.jpg

Old 06-28-2012, 08:10 AM
RCobb1

I could be wrong, but I've seen some 2012 AWDs with no switch. The latest models, from what I heard have 100% computer control of the AWD. Unless, there are two options for AWD (one manual and one computer) and I just didn't run across one of the manual ones. But I do recall seeing a couple last year with the switch. Wife and I looked at about 20 of them on different lots before she found the one she wanted.

Quick Reply: 2012 Prospective Buyer Questions