3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Fender Bender

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 09:23 PM
shelbymopar89
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Fender Bender

On the way home today a lady stopped late in an intersection. I was able to get her (the D) stopped (love the brakes) but the Mach 1 Mustang behind me could not and pushed me into her. If not for the trailer hitch I think I would have been ok. Front end damage seems to be the Forward Collision warning, the lower core support which unbolts, the air conditioner condenser (just dented) and the power steering, or the trans cooler (not sure which is on bottom) is also dented, nothing leaking, front bumper and lower bumper. The Mustang did not fair as well and smacked me pretty good in the back. Damage seems to be rear bumper and all associated sensors, heat shields, bent the safety chain hook spots on the hitch down and under, and the right exhaust pipe forward of the muffler is bent/crimped down. Could have been a lot worse, everybody is OK and everybody drove home. This is my first accident in 19 years of driving and it has to be my new one, would have preferred my 2500 Ram, but what can you do. Just thought I would share, I have not seen any wrecked ones yet.

Last edited by shelbymopar89; 02-16-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:43 PM
MJNewman
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If anything the hitch is what saved your vehicle. Otherwise I am sure your bumper wouldnt of turned out so well. Looks like its time for a custom exhaust. Glad to hear everyone was ok.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:10 PM
shelbymopar89
Veteran

Oh yea, the Forward Collision Warning worked like a champ all the way up until the hitch took it out...lol

Old 02-16-2012, 11:26 PM
switchblade906
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope that you didn't get a ticket for rear ending someone, and that the insurance pays for the damages in a very timely fashion

Old 02-16-2012, 11:45 PM
Ryan Albert
Veteran

If he was able to stop his vehicle and was then pushed into the vehicle in front of him he won't get a ticket. The rear most driver will most likely be ticketed and placed at fault.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:10 AM
fuzzyb
Rookie

Sorry to hear. Thanks for posting pics. Looks like the mustang took the worst of it.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:47 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awww man, that sux. +1 on the good news that everyone was okay.

As you explained, your damage looks mainly cosmetic but costly in the plastics. They will likely replace the fascias instead of repairing them (which is good.) Sheet metal is where we hate to see the bends and you seem to have avoided that. The Mustang wasn't so lucky.

If you don't mind sharing, who are the insurance companies and what State?

IndyD

Old 02-17-2012, 05:57 AM
coldsteel
Captain

Make sure they replace the entire hitch, even if you're never going to tow with it. It clearly took an impact and the safety chain holds are damaged. You don't ever want to be towing and need the safety chains and have the eye(s) rip open. Demand it.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:31 AM
sidewinder9m
Veteran

Ouchhh!...well the main thing is glad to hear your safe and okay. Hope your D gets repaired soon.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:50 AM
switchblade906
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Ryan Albert
If he was able to stop his vehicle and was then pushed into the vehicle in front of him he won't get a ticket. The rear most driver will most likely be ticketed and placed at fault.
Not here in FL, If you are able to stop but then get pushed into the car in front of you then you still hit them and will get a ticket. They say that you shouldn't have been that close to the driver in front of you in the first place.

Quick Reply: Fender Bender